With Love, Ray

With Love, Ray

by: @TheSamyP

I hope I can be the autumn leaf who looked at the sky and lived. And when it was time to leave, gracefully it knew life was a gift.

~ DODINSKY

It would be my profanity to compare Ray to anything other than the dull old autumn leaves that once crushed cannot be brought back to life. Spring and other seasons have their ways to come and go, give back and take away. But autumn is all loss and no gain, love neither. She was a bizarre old photograph dusted from a dirty album that has been lost for a while or left unwanted, probably found in a claustrophobic street in Bristol. She had everything- light, air, water and people who call her friend. But Ray was mostly unloved.

A platinum blonde with curves and bulges is called sensual and appealing, but a platinum blonde with immature acne and 165 pound physique is either a dumbo or a bro. Ray was the latter. To the world she was just another human being, possibly a good human who loved all. Hence, nobody hated her, but nobody loved her either way.

Needless to say, nobody's life is perfect. But Ray's life was overtly cursed. She was born from her mother's corpse who died during labour. This deprived Ray from her father's touch, her father's love. She was left in a down street of Bristol with her grandma, whose pity could be confused with affection. To her Ray was a responsibility entrusted upon her by her widower son. She had to deal with her anyway as she dealt with the household chores.

But even autumn has some beauty. Her wrinkled lips ,where never a drop of balm was used, parted to make an infinity curve, the mole above the right fold danced in ecstasy and then, she smiled making a glorious sound, music to ears. At that moment anyone could have a tempest in the heart. Nevertheless, everyone was so busy with her flaws that they abruptly missed out her perfection. That was no one's fault, it was Ray, nothing could be done with Ray.

One thing was sure about Ray. She was the stupidest moron the world could ever have. When most of the girls flaunted themselves, making them look like babes to the hungry eyes of adolescent boys, Ray made a good amount of guy friends and became their sole bro. And when the guys were taken by the girls , she realized her terrible mistake. That time she knew, it would be hard for her to find love. She didn't know she would never get love.

There was one boy who captured her flinted heart when she was just ten. James Jackson, the typical man whore and the drama club topper was he. Once upon a time James and Ray were the best of friends, but that was long ago when Ray's grandma used to insist her to wear skirts. They were happy, innocent five year olds who sat by James's backyard during autumn and

collected fallen maple leaves. They used to scribble letters on those and give to each other. But those days were not many, they had a very short together period with each other. They were best friends until the guy-flipper Stacy Cooper came in James's life. Not to mention, James was her thirteenth boyfriend in her fifteen year old life.

Love could not sparkle between Ray and James. A tomboy and a handsome Playboy fall in love only in fiction and movies. Not in real life. But this is Ray's story. Ray the one who could never get love. It was not that she didn't love the world, she loved every dog and dust hoping to get back a similar attention. But Ray's story is not a love story.

There was no difference between autumn and Ray. The vigour of autumn was within the fallen leaves and creased trunk. Autumn never showed it's pain when the children of trees broke from the branches and with a sudden gust of wind, they floated down with ease. Ray Martin was somewhat alike. All the world knew the exalting smile and cockiness of that free spirited girl but nobody knew that she silently drenched her pillow at midnight. Ray was afraid to show every bruise in her heart which could possibly frighten those who still cared about her existence.