Starting Over

Wanda's POV:

I let the cold water hit my body and move as i did. I finally came up gasping for air. I was swimming in pool. My younger sister Lorna was going to stay at my house for a bit. I decided to go on a road trip by myself. I just want to explore and see new thing. I swam for a couple more hours until i got out and began packing my bags. 

"Are you sure about this Wanda?" My sister asks. 

"Yes i'm sure. Just think about it me on a trip meeting new people and finding the peace i deserve." I replied. 

"Fine just be careful." Lorna replied and hugged me. I got in to my car and drove away. I looked into the rearview mirror as i saw my house slowly disappear behind me. Tears came back at the thought of me leaving everything i love behind.

~~california~~

2 weeks later

I drove down the rode of California late afternoon. It was summer so the heat was there. Every monday i called Lorna to see how shes doing and how the house was. As much as i hate to admitted it but Vision still roamed in my head. Word was he and his new wife were expecting a baby on the way. Thinking about it made my heart ache. I drove up to a friend of mine, Carol Danvers, house late afternoon. As i drove up on the driveway i could see Carol smiling at me from her living room. 

“Hi my baby girl.” Carol said as i ran into her arms. Carol was openly gay and she knew i was straight but that didn't stop her from calling me her baby girl. 

I told Carol everything with what happened with Vision before i told my family. She was the one who suggested i’d go to visit her. I cried on her shoulder as she held me. It wasn’t from the heart break or the fact Vision left me. It was because i was angry. The things Vision told me echo in my head when im alone. 

“So tell me Wanda, what do you wanna do?” Carol asked me as we sat down on her couch. 

“Right now im in a state where all i want is travel. Go through a place and leave. No bullshit. I wanna be free out of other peoples control. No one telling me what to do.” I replied. 

“Let’s go to a bar tonight. I know one not to far from here.” Carol said sitting up excitedly. 

“No I think I’ll stay in,” I replied trying to back out. 

“See the thing is I already have plans with this person to go with them and I’m not leaving you here all by yourself while you cry about someone who doesn’t see your worth. Let’s get dressed we have to be there in fifteen minutes.” Carol said pulling my arm and dragging me. 

We walked into her room as she looked in the wardrobe. “Here it is!” Carol yelled. She turned around showing me a black lacy dress. 

“I’m going to a bar not a strip club Carol,” I said. She rolled her eyes and turned back around. “This is the one.” She said turning around with a red dress “wear this with some black ankle boots and your hair in a high ponytail.” She tossed me a dress and walked out of the room. 

Moments later i sat in front of Carol as she glided red lipstick on my lips. 

“Alright, you ready to do this?” Carol asked me as I took a shot of vodka. I at first shook my head no and then yes. “Yes,” i replied.

“Well let’s go.” 

~~~~

I walked into the bar behind Carol as she looked for her friend. “There they are.” She said. 

We walked up to the group with one girl and two guys. 

“Wanda this is Yelena, Steve, and Sam,” she said introducing them to me. “Hi,” I replied.

~~~~

A couple of shots later we were laughing our asses off at stories and making fun of each other. 

“I’m going to get another drink,” I told Carol as I stood up a bit tipsy and walked over to the bar. "Can I get a beer?" I said my words almost slurring together.

“Wanda?” A voice came from behind me.

I turned around seeing the most handsome man I’ve ever seen. He had blue eyes, buff, and a chiseled face. “I’m sorry do i know you?” i asked confused. 

“It's me, James. From high school. You called me Bucky.” he said trying to jog my memory. 

“Oh! Bucky how are you?” i said as i gave him a hug.

“I’m doing good. What are you doing here in Cali? I thought you were getting married and all.” he said.

“Oh yeah… that shits canceled,” i replied slurring my words together. 

“Are you drunk?” he asked concerned. “Yep.” i replied popping the p. 

“Who’d you come with?” he asked. 

“Ugh, Bucky why so many questions? I’m here in Cali with my friend Carol because my boyfriend broke up with me because I didn’t “satisfy” him anymore and now he has a baby on the way because I clearly could not give him one. It's all my fault apparently when really it's his fault because he barely touched me.” I said laughing and crying at the same time.

“Ok stay here don’t move,” he said and left. “Rude,” I said as I turned around and drank my beer. 

“Alright, let’s get you home,” Bucky said. 

“My house is all the way in Savanna. I don’t want to go home to a place that's empty,” I said tripping over myself as he tried to help me. 

“Carol already knows I’m taking you home,” he said as we moved through the crowd. 

“Wait you talked with Carol? What’d she say?” I asked looking up at him.

“She said to be on my best behavior. More like threatened me,” he replied with a charming smile.

I laughed as he gave a small chuckle. “Your spinning. I think I’m gonna faint,” I said as my smile dropped. 

“What now?” he asked. Before I knew it I blacked out but it was enough for me to feel him catch me.