Jungkook is not stupid (or so he says)

Jungkook was bored and lonely and it was late at night. Usually by then he would’ve gone to hotel gym or tried to get one of his hyungs to dare him to put ten Oreos in his mouth at once, but while his mind was restless his body was exhausted from that night’s concert. So he lied in bed, scrolling mindlessly through his phone, watching useless five minute crafts and wondering if he should see if one of the managers could get him a hot glue gun so he could try to make a flip flop out of it.

He didn’t know what sort of weird-ass Youtube algorithm had brought him to your video based on the things he had watched previously (1300s A.D. ASMR~ Nun Takes Care of You In Bed {You Have the Plague} and My Hedgehog Gets A Bath). He could barely remember watching the start of the video and couldn’t pinpoint the exact moment he got hooked, nor the reason. But he clicked on your next video and then the next and he couldn’t find a reason to watch something else, couldn’t find it in himself to get tired of your voice or the way you spoke and when morning came his hyungs found him deep asleep while his phone still had you on autoplay.

---

Jungkook was not stupid. Sure, sometimes he was painfully reckless and his ideas were not always the brightest. And yeah, he might have had microwaved some weird stuff and left the house with only one shoe on, but he was not dumb.

So he knew, okay? He knew he had a crush on you. It was embarrassingly obvious. Namjoon could see it even without his glasses.

Since that first day all those weeks ago, you were all he could watch. He had seen each of your videos at least three times before his hyungs started noticing something was wrong. And he couldn’t even play it cool like he didn’t know what it was about you that attracted him so much, because he had a mental list of reasons. Your voice. Your personality. The way that your videos were so diverse in content it kind of looked like the inside of his brain.

He liked the way you talked as if you were having a direct conversation with him. Every video started with a sweet “hello to you, wherever you are today” and finished with a “I can’t wait to see you again”. It made him feel as if those videos were made specially to him and in whatever part of the world he was, he had you to greet him and say you missed him.

Truth was, despite having the best friends in the world and a great team with him, Jungkook was still kind of lonely. It was easy to forget most days, but sometimes when the lights went out in the stadium and he got off the stage, his arms ached and he felt a tiny sting to his heart, an unreasonable urge to rest his head in someone’s lap.

You were the virtual equivalent to that for him. You were his hug at the end of the day.

He wasn’t dumb. But he was a jealous boy.

So when he walked into the living room once on a rare day off and saw you on their TV while all the boys watched, he choked on his own spit hard enough to scare his hyungs. In a matter of seconds they were all over him, fanning their face while Jimin gave him an alarmingly wrong heimlich maneuver.

“Quick” Namjoon said, throwing his phone to Taehyung “Call 119”.

“What’s their number?!” asked Taehyung, fumbling desperately with the device.

“I just told you the number?!”

Somehow, Jungkook managed to clear his airways before Namjoon had the chance to slap his friend and croaked out a gruff “I’m fine, I’m fine.”

Helping him straighten up, Jimin stared at him worriedly “Are you sure?”

“Yeah, I just choked. I’m good, I’m… Hm…” he tried to find a way to change the subject back to you, back to why his friends were watching his favorite youtuber.
Again, he was not stupid. He knew, on a rational level, that he had no claim over you. That you probably didn’t even know who he was. That it was just the sad emo boy in him projecting a fake relationship on you. He knew you had millions of subscribers and probably a real boyfriend but still. The unreasonable, emotional side of him, the same one that cried over ARMY letters and clinged to Hoseok sometimes for no reason, wanted to keep you all to himself.

“Hm, what are you guys watching?”

“This youtuber.” Namjoon shrugged, going back to the couch and pressing play. Only then did Jungkook realize that he had not yet seen this video “She was all over Twitter today, didn’t you see it?”

Jungkook shook his head, eyes glued to the screen watching you grab your guitar. He was about to ask about the title of the video, when you finally spoke.

You know me” you were saying, playing lightly with the strings of your guitar “I get a song stuck to my head and it won’t leave until I cover it and this why I have so many Camp Rock covers in this channel.” Taehyung lightly chuckled “But yeah, this is my current favorite song and I have been practing very hard to get it right, so here’s ‘My Time’ by BTS.”

And then Jungkook was back to choking on his own spit.