Chapter 2

But Sonic's life had become one filled with tragedy. He pulled the trigger again and again, but nothing happened. He was out of bullets, there would be no easy way to escape from his problems. Sonic threw down his gun beside the dead knuckles. He may be morally grey now. But he was still alive, and he had made a promise. He could still fulfill knuckles' dying wish- it was the least he could do. Sonic was now filled with a fire, a burning desire to stay alive, to live and fight another day. Tears once again filled his jade colored pools, but these were not tears of sorrow- no, these were of determination, and utterly unstoppable will to live. Just as this shocking epiphany hit him, Sonic heard a second rustle in the bushes. He was weaponless, and considered ducking for cover, even playing dead beside knuckles. He couldn't run. Not only were his feet fucked up, but the thick undergrowth and close set trees made running impossible.

Before sonic could make him move, the figure emerged. Sonic was shocked, his body rocked by the recognition of the being before him. The cobalt hedgehog's forest green eyes met a pair of ruby orbs. Attached to them, the charcoal body of a dominating red striped hedgehog. Shadow was no longer dressed in his army uniform, he had instead replaced it with... a uniform of the viet cong. Suddenly, his disappearance made sense- shadow had never disappeared, he had betrayed them, and joined the viet cong! Sonic spat on shadow, "Shadow, how could you. How could you betray us and join the communists. I thought you were a real American,"

"Fool," Shadow sneered at sonic, pointing his gun at the sky blue mammal. "I have always been a communist, ever since the day we met. You think I gave a shit about your putrid america. I would burn such filth to the ground. Besides, how can you have the audacity to call me a traitor when you have gunned down you dear piss buddy knuckles. You insolent creature"

Sonic was shocked. He had always known that shadow was into some dark things, but communism? He knew that this couldn't be Shadow's own thinking, he had to have been taken and brainwashed by the Viet cong. They must have wanted him on their side, a rival to sonic's own great speed. But didn't they know- speed was worthless in the jungle. "Shadow, I know that you're not a communist, even if you have red stripes. Rejoin us shadow, it's what maria would have wanted,"

Shadow growled angrily "Who are you to tell me what maria would have wanted. Maria was a patriot to our country. She would have wanted it free from the hands of you pigs more than anything!"

"Shadow-" Sonic felt himself becoming ever more confused and aroused. "Are you implying that you're vietnames?"

"Yes" Shadow answered, "That is exactly what I'm implying. You're a fool if you thought any different." Before sonic could say another word, Shadow pointed the gun at the sapphire hedgehogs head. Sonic opened his mouth to plead for his life, but it was too late. The bullet went straight through his head, exiting through his quills. Sonic fell face forward onto the ground beside the deceased knuckles. The great blue blur was no more, such were the horrors of war.