14

14

____

SATURDAY MORNING, THE Ashmore News showed Oliver Griggs's face on our television screens. The police said that he might have been under intoxication of alcohol and drugs when he decided to invade — guess what — Mavin Adams's home.

"Great," sabi ko habang kumakain ng pancakes. Ang aga aga, nasira na agad mood ko.

"Now everybody knows you," Amethyst said, laughing at the screen.

I shook my head. "Wala naman masyadong nanonood ng Ashmore News."

"Still. Pustahan — sa Monday, pagtitinginan ka ng mga tao."

Ever since that happened this week, Amethyst and I went back to normal. Although still a little bit shaken,  we worked hard to return everything to the way it was. Amethyst cleaned twice than she always does, and refused to wear the dress again, though she'd always worn the hair clip.

Amethyst also refused to tell me what Oliver was saying when he got here. Ang sinabi niya lang sa 'kin, umakyat si Oliver mula sa bintana sa likod, malapit sa kwarto ko.

Sa loob ng kwarto ko, meron akong mga drum na may lamang mga damit, punda, patapong mga jacket at ilang mga kurtina. There are two stacked above the other two, but the other one below is empty, and Amethyst hid in there. The police might have checked one of them, and convinced themselves that all those containers contain only useless clothing, and left them alone.

I guess it was just luck.

Still, after that day, Amethyst and I did not talk one bit about it, as if that day never existed at all. Even so, I can't help imagining the thought of the police finding Amethyst in her yellow dress, hiding inside a drum.

Pagkatapos ng araw na 'yon, parang ayaw ko nang lumabas ng bahay. I feel like I should never leave because something bad might happen, something even worse. I don't want to leave Amy again. Even if Oliver was sent to jail, I know his parents would bail him out soon enough. Kahit na wala na siya at hindi ko na dapat problemahin, hindi ko mapigilan ang sarili ko.

I just hate that maybe deep inside Amethyst, she is blaming herself. She thinks that she's bringing trouble to me, of which is absolutely false.

Napabuntonghininga ako.

Of course, this is a small town, so Cinna and Pierre heard it right after that day.

They were worried as hell, asked about it, was hella alarmed about it, because as far as we all know Oliver and I were never friends. Though I kept wondering what they might have thought after hearing that, because the way I acted when I was with the both of them inside Cinna's car was way a bit odd. I acted the way a person would if the person really kept a dead person in his house.

Plus, the phone call I received that time. And the previous phone call where Cinna believed she heard Amethyst's voice. Cinna can grow suspicious of me, specially that she is under the thought that I'm in love with Amethyst. This pushes me to look faster for the culprit until Cinna slowly finds out, or someone else from the town does.