Chapter Fifteen - I Think We're Alone Now

"Here we go again," Ariadne droned as she caught sight of her owl in possession of a mint green envelope. Lobster was an easy owl to spot among the fleet when it was time for the daily mail drop, due to her darker plumage and the protruding tuft of feathers that mirrored the antenna of the crustacean, Ariadne made a game out of it of how fast she can spot her pet.

Lobster swooped overhead and fluttered slowly towards Ariadne's plate, gently releasing the invitation from her claws. "Just like clockwork – oh, you're such a sweetheart, aren't you?" She picked up a generous serving of honey-cured ham from the assortment of breakfast and offered it to Lobster to which she promptly retrieved before flying away to enjoy her treat. Alison stifled a laugh, though her enjoyment was short-lived at the moment when a similar envelope was airdropped on her lap by a school owl.

Both girls decided to bite the bullet and tear open the envelopes, confirming their suspicions about it being the timely callings for the Slug Club Dinner Party

Both girls decided to bite the bullet and tear open the envelopes, confirming their suspicions about it being the timely callings for the Slug Club Dinner Party. Ariadne remembered the first time she attended the dinner. By the time the main course was served, she was already mentally composing a letter for both her parents, practically begging on her hands and knees for them to find a way to pull her and her sister out of the professor's club.

To her sad end, they had replied: If we had to go through it, you lot will too. P.S it's a right of passage. Love, your mother, Harrison, Jaime, and Alex. P.S.S. your father says hi.

"I don't like going to his parties. But on the bright side, as soon as I get to my dorm, I'm already drowsy enough to sleep." Alison commented, hacking away at her maple sticky bun. "You've never tried to weasel your way out of a party, have you?"

Addy looked pensively down at her oatmeal, some spots bleeding purple from the mashed blueberries. She and her sister had only attempted and succeeded with skipping a Slug Club lunch last year, it was the first social event of the term and neither of them had the energy to masquerade as willing guests, so they simply ignored the invitations and had a little picnic with their younger siblings since they were still too young to receive invitations for the Slug Club.

"I actually have skipped a party," She finally answered, further mixing in a few tablespoons of brown sugar into her breakfast. "Minnie and I skipped it, but we paid the price afterward... We had to endure a private teatime with Slughorn."

Alison gasped, her smile spreading wide across her face. "Was it excruciatingly boring?"

"Beyond your wildest dreams, Longbottom. When in doubt, never go the easy way out." Ariadne prompted, feeling a considerable amount of warmth spread across her chest at the sight of Alison giggle, it rang through her ears like the soft melody of silver bells jostled by an ocean breeze. Out of the blue, the warmth had spread equally along her face, Ariadne had realized she had focused too long on Ali. "So, do you feel like Professor Slughorn just invited us because of who our parents are?"

"Oh, yeah – totally." The fifth-year girl replied, sneaking a look at Ariadne's blushed pink face. "Which I think is funny. My parents weren't in the Slug Club when they were our age."