My Father Slays a Beast - Part 1

The Children

of Tain

Introduction

Twelve years ago . . .

     It was just past eight in the night, and a young father, tall and lightly tanned with dark neatly trimmed hair and dark eyes, attempted to get his five-year-old son to bed. He looked like a miniature version of himself.

     "But, Daddy, I want to watch TV," the small child protested.

     "Angel, it is time for bed," the father insisted.

     "How about five more minutes, Daddy?" the small child (Angel) pleaded.

     "Angel, you have been saying that for the past half hour. Besides, what could you possibly wish to watch at this time of night?" Angel's father questioned.

     "I want to see a movie about monsters, like the ones from your stories of Breeken," little Angel pointed out.

     Angel's father (Luis) sighed and slightly shook his head, beginning to get a little frustrated at his young son's persistence. "It is pronounced Bryken, and you are not going to watch a movie that will give you nightmares."

     Angel thought about it for a moment, trying to find a way to convince his father. Angel smiled as a compromise came to mind. "Daddy, how about you tell me another story about Bryeeken." Angel struggled to pronounce it. "I want to know about the monsters that live there."

     Luis grinned at his young son. He knew that Angel was just buying time so that he would not have to go to sleep. But Luis loved telling him bedtime stories, for he knew they would help his son better understand his world someday.

     "All right, Angel, I will tell you a story about the city of Briquen. But you have to lie down and be quiet, for it is bedtime."

     "Okay, Daddy," little Angel agreed as he happily jumped into bed and covered himself with blankets, his eyes alert and filled with excitement.

     Luis helped his son, tucking him in and kissing his forehead. Luis stared warmly into little Angel's eyes. Angel loved these peaceful times with his father. Whenever his father looked into his eyes like that, it was almost as if he felt a deep connection with him. As if when his father told the story, he could project images into his mind.

     "All right, Angel. As you know, the city of Briquen is hidden in plain view, yet it is obscured from human eyes and hidden within a mist on an island called the Island of Enchantment. And yes, there are what you could call monsters living there, but they are not mean or bad. There are beasts called the lugaros, but they are not the main inhabitants of this city. The main population of Briquen are empowered beings— an ancient human race called Tains."

     Angel's face lit up with wonder. "Wow. And how do you know that, Daddy?"

     Luis raised his hands in a mocking gesture, lowering his tone and making a funny face at his son. "Because I am one of them! Hahaha."

     "Daddy, you silly." Angel laughed.

     "Angel, not so loud. You are supposed to be going to sleep," Luis lightly scolded.

     "What are you boys doing in there?" Angel's mom hollered from the adjacent room.

     "It's nothing, Nadya. I'll be there in a few, dear," Luis assured her and then smirked at his son. "So do you want to hear the rest of the story or not?"