05. TILTING WORDS

DARK RED

CHAPTER FIVE: TILTING WORDS

THE first thing Vera did when she returned to her on-base apartment was take a shower, she was disgusting, covered in sweat and grime, not to mention dirt from her scuffle with the boys

She took her time in the shower, making sure to scrub every inch, she even took the time to shave for the first time in two weeks, just so she could return to some sense of normalcy.

Vera knew that Mitch and Thomas had been tossed into cells as she showered, and still when she went to visit them before the debriefing she was surprised to see just how jostled they looked.

Mitch had slowly looked up at her through his long locks of hair with a glare set so deeply on his face she was sure it was stuck that way, and then Thomas saw her and his eyes lit up with what she could only guess was... hope? Or maybe fear? Perhaps it was both.

"Vera!" He'd exclaimed upon seeing her, "Vera, you gotta let us out, please," she felt bad for a second, and then the feeling receded and she shook her head, "przepraszam, ale nie mogę."

I'm sorry, but I can't.

Thomas exchanged a look with his brother- in the cell across from his- and quickly met Vera's gaze, "Czemu? Co zrobiliśmy, żeby skazać na karę pozbawienia wolności?"

Why? What have we done to warrant imprisonment?

Vera shook her head and cast a look in Mitch's direction, "zostałeś oskarżony."

You've been accused.

Mitch's eyes widened then, and he stood from his spot on the bed in his cell, "of what?"

Vera simply watched Mitch, "Vera," she turned to look at him over her shoulder- one of her hands on the glass between her and Thomas- "you've been accused of perjury, four counts of first-degree murder, and the intent to carry out mass genocide."

His face dropped for a moment as he thought over the words, a moment later he shook his head, "what am I charged with?" Vera shook her head, "accomplice in perjury, aiding and abetting, as well as harboring a felon."

Thomas' eyes were wide by the time she'd listed all of his charges off and he was silent for a few moments before meeting Mitch's gaze, "you- this is what you were doing while you were gone? You weren't actually at college, were you?"

Mitch shook his head after a few moments and met Vera's gaze again, "how long?"

Instead of trying to reassure Thomas, she turned and stared at Mitch, "your trial is tomorrow, the charges were filed this morning," with another shake of his head, Mitch ran a hand through his hair and cast a look towards the ceiling.