Chapter 39

"You should reconsider your choice, Miss Winter. You have to think rationally and decide carefully" Dr Tony convinced me as we walked by each other's side. "They provide moral support, educate people about drug and stuff..."

"Doctor, I know how rehab works," I cut him off. "I am just not prepared mentally, physically and emotionally," I told him. "I knew that was a very selfish decision on my part."

"That's the best option. I can be the person in charge to take care of your aunt when she was admitted there," he said.

"Did she agree to go to rehab again?" I asked.

"She kinda agrees. She told me about entering rehab just now and she really wants to stop," he answered.

"Did she say anything about me?" I asked him again.

"She said that she felt guilty towards you. I don't intend to talk about your privacy or her but, you guys should discuss this. It's not only affecting her future," he stopped and looked at me. "Yours too, Miss Winter."

-

I folded Diane's tops and put it into the bag. When I was done folding and she was done eating, there was an awkward silence between us. I sighed heavily and I leaned against the chair.

"So do you want to talk about it?" I initiated as I rubbed my temple gently.

"Talk about what?" I couldn't tell if she was playing fool or she really didn't know.

"Talk about our decision, your job and your future, Diane," I replied.

She sighed. "I have decided to go to rehab, Kate. I don't want to hurt you anymore," she answered my unspoken question.

"Are you freaking serious?" I half-shouted at her.

"I'm serious..."

Before she continued speaking, I cut her off. "Do you really want to destroy your career whatsoever by entering the rehab again? Did Mr Traynor know about this?" I asked.

"My career will be destroyed even more if I decided not to go to rehab!" She argued which made me silent. "And yes, he knew about this," she looked at me deeply.

I stared blankly on the floor. "And then, what about me?"

"You're going to be okay, I promise," she reached for my shoulder and fix them so I was facing.

"What if I'm not going to?" I asked her again.

"Yes, you can. You were two years ago and you surely are right now," she smiled at me. "I do this for you, Katie. I don't want to hurt you anymore. I know how much it hurts you when I did it again," she added.

"You still cannot recall how this thing happened?" I asked to ensure the final decision.

"Not yet. But if I do, you're gonna be the first person to know about that, I promise," she held my hand and then, she pulled me into her embrace.

-

Diane was allowed to return home after two days in the hospital. She was still weakened by the reaction of the opioid drug that she had taken prior to the incident. When we arrived at our home, Diane immediately laid herself on the couch and fell asleep within several seconds. I decided to take a stroll down the street in the neighbourhood to enjoy the breezy evening.

I put my hands into my pocket as I felt the soft wind crashed my cheek and my hair nearly closed my sight. Instantly, I tucked my hair behind my ear before I found a woman, who I barely recognised, standing in front of me and slowly approaching me.

"Hi, Katie," she initiated as she stood in front of me.

"Hi," I carved a wide smile. "I'm sorry, I recognised your face but I cannot seems to remember who you are," I chuckled.

"I'm Alicia, the first person you met and talked to when you are working with Carter," by the mention of Carter, I started to freak out. I shook my head and I began to run away but her hand was so fast to grab my arm to stop me. "We need to talk," she insisted.

I gulped and I was so uncertain to talk to her but in the end, I defeated. "What do you want to talk about?" I asked.

We walked by each other's side and took a seat on the bench at the roadside. "Actually, I want to talk about this since you decided to stop working with him," she said.

"Wait, how do you even know I wanted to stop when nobody told Carter about that?" I scoffed when I was asking.

She sighed heavily. "How do I even tell you about this?" she was hesitant. "Chris told me," she answered.

I frowned. "Do you know him?" She nodded. "Why did he tell you about that? Just because we conversed on the first day of work?" I chuckled.

"No!" She answered firmly. "Because I am Carter's girlfriend."

"What?" My eyes were widely opened.

"He told me that he worried about you when you told him you want to terminate your job as a courtesan," she explained.

"Seriously? We barely know each other at that time and he was worried about me," I chuckled again. "Why is that?" I asked.

"I couldn't tell the reason! But just let me give you this warning. Carter is cruel and ruthless. Stay out of his sight! I beg you," she adjured.

For a few seconds, I was silent. "Why did you tell me this? I mean, you're Carter's girlfriend and we only talk for a night and,"

"Chris told me to," she cut me off. I was so shocked but at the same time, I was so touched by Chris. He still cared about me albeit I constantly pushed him away. "He said you refused to meet him so he sent me because only both of us know about your resignation," she continued.

"How bad can it be if I resign?" I asked her.

"I cannot tell you about that, Katie. I want to but I can't. I just can't," she said. "You need to ask Chris for an explanation. All I can say is, he is desperate to save you," she told me.

"Is desperate to save me? Why did you use the present tense?" I asked. A few seconds later, I realised something. "Oh God! Am I in danger?" I was panicked.

"No, Katie. It wasn't like that," she calmed me down. "It just, as long as he's still taking care of you, you're safe," she added.

I exhaled a deep breath in relief by the thought that I am still safe.

"Don't be too hard on him," she stood up and I followed her. "He loves you. I could tell," she tapped me on my shoulder a few times before decided to leave me alone at the roadside.