chapter 13 ; late night

The lair buzzed with the robotic sounds of technology and quiet chatter that slightly echoed across the cavelike interior

The lair buzzed with the robotic sounds of technology and quiet chatter that slightly echoed across the cavelike interior. "Jennie...how can we keep this from them? I mean, they're bound to know, anyways...Shouldn't we tell them?" Chaeyoung suggested as her soft voice echoed off the wall and seemingly off of Jennie as well. Jennie's lips faintly dropped as she types in some codes in the keyboard. "No. They wouldn't. It's hard to get here. They don't even remember the whole layout of the house." Jennie responded with slight agitation. Jisoo sighed and her eyes travel to Jennie lazily.

"I agree with Chaeyoung. What if they notice that we're gone at night all the time? Wouldn't they try to figure it out?" Jisoo responded, her face softening into a concerned expression . Lisa's eyebrows furrowed as she looked to the two members next to her. "You know we could just make up a lie or something...Besides, what Jennie said was right. They don't even know the whole layout of the house, let alone get in here." Lisa argued, her forehead creasing as she tried to make her point go across. Chaeyoung stared at Lisa with faint frustration and her lips sloped into a frown.

"Yeah...but the city's going to take a long time to rebuild. That means that they're going to stay here for a long time too. They'll remember this place like the back of their hand soon." Chaeyoung said as her eyes sharpened at Lisa. Lisa frowned back, but eventually turned away with arms crossed. Jisoo sighed at the tiny argument between her two friends and decided to stand up, her footsteps slow as she headed towards Jennie's direction. "Jennie, c'mon, I think we should just tell them, especially Y/N. Besides, we've known her for years now. We should-" Jennie pursed her lips as she swatted away Jisoo's attempt at touching her shoulder. Her eyes then glanced at Jisoo with a dull glow.

"I said no, Jisoo. Not with that girl, Yerim, around at least. Besides, there's something strange about her too. I could just feel it in my bones." Jennie slowly explained, the stress in her voice faintly evident as her eyes trailed up and down the screen. Jisoo's eyebrows suddenly furrowed in curiosity. "What? What's wrong with her? She seems normal to me..." Jisoo responded as a nervous tingle ran down her spine. Jennie's mouth slowly gaped open before she suddenly shut her lips and shook her head. "N-nevermind...you wouldn't understand." Jennie deflected, her expression clouded with uncertainty. Jisoo tilted her head and was about to ask a question again before she shook away the remaining curiosity.

"Oh...okay." Jisoo said, although a feeling inside her body left her suspicious. As Jisoo walked away, Jennie stopped typing and instead rested her hands on the table and glanced down tiredly with a hefty sigh escaping her lips. "Everyone. It's getting very late. I suggest that you guys go and rest. I'll see you guys tomorrow." Jennie announced as she turned around. Everyone looked at her and agreed, standing themselves up before they made a way towards the exit. "What about you, Jennie?" Lisa asked as she grabbed her coat. Jennie looked back at her and shook her head slowly. "I'm going to stay here for a bit to finish some things. You all go ahead." Jennie explained, which earned a nod from Lisa.

Once everyone said their goodnights and left, Jennie rotated and typed in some things in the keyboard before looking up. It was a real-time footage of you in your room, with your hair messily laying on the pillow as your fingers brushed against the blanket, your head facing away from the camera. Jennie indistinctly smiled and placed her hand on the screen, staring at it for a couple seconds before she opened her mouth to say something. "Good night, angel." Jennie whispered before she turned off the camera.

———

You shuffled around in your bed, unable to sleep. You had imagined up scenarios, adventures, full blown missions in your head to keep yourself busy and maybe tire your brain out, but nothing seemed to come from it. Now, you were just laying in your bed, now staring up at the ceiling with the blanket almost completely covering your body. "I wonder what the others are doing..." You thought as your eyes fluttered closed again. You then turned to your side and felt a wave of relaxation rush over you before a loud bang echoed outside your door.

You sat up in a flash, your head booming with sudden fright. Your terror would only develop as muffled voices erupt from the other side of the door. As a result, your heartbeat accelerated, causing the banging from your chest to echo throughout your body. You held up the blanket and pulled it across your body, staying still as much as possible. The noise would continue for a couple more minutes and slowly, your body cooled down, seeing as how the people outside are not entering your room yet. Instead, the fear was enveloped by a sense of curiosity and you found yourself slowly getting out of your bed and walking over to the door to listen closer.

"You are so clumsy, Lisa!" A voice said from the other side of the door. You pulled away from the door and tilted your head in confusion. "Lisa?" You thought, curious on how your housemate's name landed in their mouths. You looked over to the handle and pressed your hand on it, a large gulp escaping your lips as you began to twist the metal. With tightly closed eyes and an anticipation for the worst, you open the door in a rush and a stream of small gasps reach your ears.

"Y-Y/N?" You open one eye at the call of your name and see several of your friends petrified in front of you with terrified looks on their faces. You slowly open your other eye and bewilderment swallows your expression. "G-guys, why are you all here? Actually, why aren't you guys in your rooms? It's 3:50 in the morning!" You said in a loud whisper, your eyes bulging with shock. Your housemates, on the other hand, stared at each other nervously and an awkward smile arose on Jisoo's voice.

"O-oh. We were- uh, we all happened to be awake and we were in the kitchen...having some late night snacks!" Jisoo explained. You tilted your head and looked at the others, who seemed to show similar expressions, and sighed. "Really? I thought I was the only one awake. Well, you guys should get to bed quickly...where's Jennie?" The trio looked at each other in fear again before Chaeyoung spoke up.

"In her bedroom!" Chaeyoung said out loud, her explanation so obviously fabricated she was sure you thought she was lying from how she suddenly said the sentence. Surprisingly, you didn't catch on. "Oh. I guess this is good night then. Bye guys." You said as you closed the door. You plopped back onto the bed and held your blanket closely to you, mostly relieved at the encounter. Now, you just had to worry about sleeping.

———

"The plan is going quite well." said a female voice, her tone satisfied with how everything is going. Another person giggled and sighed quickly afterwards. "Really? How is she?" The person asked, their voice quite feminine as well. The first female voice responded slowly. "Still sort of resistant, but she's beginning to understand. She would make a great addition to our group. She has immense power stored inside her. I could just feel it." The first female voice said.

The other person hummed in contentment. "But what about the other girl?" They asked. "Her? Still a problem in our plan. However, I have decided to use her existence as an advantage lately," The first person responded.

"Let's say if little Yerim rejects our ideas, her pathetic lovergirl is going to suffer."