Midnight Run

Disclaimer: Do I look like Thomas Astruc? The answer is no.

Marinette sat in her room, glad that the day was coming to a close. School had ended with many glares thrown her way, and the only thing that had kept her sane was Adrien by her side. He really was a loyal friend. But then again she had thought Alya was a loyal friend too.

How easily people will deceive you.

She was pulled out of her thoughts by a knock on her trapdoor, and looked up to see a somber-looking Chat on the other side. She quickly let him in, a question in her eyes.

"I heard from Adrien that school didn't go very well for you today," he said, completely forgoing his usual flirtatious greeting.

"The tattle-tale! I told him to leave you alone so that you could worry about yourself for once!" she told him, throwing her hands in the air.

"I think he knew that until I had heard a report from him I would be worrying anyways," he told her softly. "What do you need from me?"

"I don't need anything Chat. Really, I'm fine," she told him as he stared at her incredulously.

"You had a huge fight with your friend, one you probably can't get over, and yet you are fine?"

"Okay maybe I'm not fine," she conceded, opening her arms for a hug. He practically flew to her, picking her up before settling both of them on her chaise. They were cuddling big time, and Chat could feel a blush heating up his cheeks, but he tried to ignore it. She is hurting right now you idiot! he thought to himself. She needs your care right now, not your teenage hormones!

The two stayed on the couch for a long time until Marinette pulled away. "You up for some Mecha Strike?" she challenged.

"You bet! And this time I am going to win!" he told her excitedly.

They played for another hour, and Marinette still remained the victor. He watched her do another victory dance, smiling at her child-like antics.

"What are you looking at?" she asked him self-consciously.

"Nothing, nothing," he said, trying to wave it off. "Can we do something else now? I'm getting bored of beating you."

"You mean you're getting tired of losing?" she asked slyly.

"No! Because I, the great Chat Noir, never lose!"

"But my kitty does!" she told him happily, oblivious to the blush on 'her kitty's' face as he thought that yes, he could get used to that nickname, as well as the idea of being hers.

"So what do we want to do?" she asked him.

"Hmm, we could have a tickle fight!" he suggested, a wicked smile on his face.

"No Kitty," she told him sternly, "No-eek!" she shrieked, as Chat had started tickling her expertly, using his claws to make it tickle even more.

"Chat! Stop!" she shrieked again, tears of mirth forming in her eyes.

"Not unless you admit that I am the bestest of the best at Mecha Strike! And that I'm devilishly handsome," he added on as an afterthought, proud of himself for his quick thinking.

"Never!" she told him.

"Then I will just have to...tickle harder!" He started tickling her even more, causing her to squeal and laugh until she was gasping for breath.

"FINE!" she finally relented.

He stopped tickling her. "Where is the omission of my greatness and handsomeness?" he asked in a fake-innocent voice.

"You are the bestest of the best at Mecha Strike," she told him. "And you are devilishly handsome," she added at his stern look.

He immediately pulled her to her feet, telling her, "See? It wasn't that hard, was it?"

"It was just as bad as you think it was," she retorted, before adding, "but we still don't know what to do. I'm asking for good ideas Kitty," she said to the excited look in his eyes, turning around to head up to her balcony. It was supposed to be a beautiful night, and she wanted to be able to enjoy it before it got too late.

His ears instantly drooped, but they perked up again as he thought of yet another idea. "I could give you a piggyback ride across Paris," he suggested, excitement clear in his voice.

"No Kitty."

"Pleeeeeease Princess?" he begged, giving her his best kitten eyes, which he knew she couldn't resist.

"Fine," she told him. "But only a short one! We don't have time to go gallivanting across the entirety of Pari—"

She was cut off by him throwing her onto his back, giving her a smirk. "Princess, you know I could give you a tour of Paris and still get you back in time."

"And what makes you think that?"

"I'm strong and fast." When she rolled her eyes at him, he just gave her a cheeky smile before taking off.

She shrieked in his ear, making him wince, but her shriek quickly turned into a laugh as he pole-vaulted across the city. The night air was refreshing for both of them, and Marinette enjoyed the feeling of traveling across Paris while fully able to feel the wind against her, unlike when she was semi protected in her suit. The only thing she couldn't really get used to was the way he moved, her stomach dropped each time he extended his baton.

Before long he arrived at his original destination: the Eiffel Tower. He set her down gently, making sure that she had her balance before he let go of her. The last thing he wanted was for her to pitch off the side and to her death. It would not be a great night for either of them if that happened.

"Wow," Marinette whispered, trying her best to pretend that she had never been up here before. This was her and her partner's favorite place to meet, after all. But she had to admit that it had a different charm when she was in her civilian form. The night seemed brighter, the city seemed more beautiful, and the height was even more terrifying. Or maybe it wasn't the lack of a suit that changed it for her, but the person she was next to, a thought she quickly shook from her head. She loved Adrien! She couldn't fall for her Kitty, her partner! It was never her plan! Even though . . . Chat had never looked as peaceful as he did now, staring out over the city. He had a small smile playing on the corners of his mouth, and his shoulders were relaxed. He was handsome, Marinette realized, very much so. She was surprised that she had never realized it before, but with her thoughts always consumed by Adrien-Adrien! She had completely forgotten about him as she looked at her unknowing partner.

Meanwhile Chat was having a very similar battle. He looked at the girl next to him out of the corner of his eye, noticing how the light breeze played with the ends of her hair, making them dance around her face. She smiled contentedly at the city, seemingly unbothered by the height below her. She was gorgeous, and even Ladybug-Ladybug! He was supposed to love Ladybug, not the beautiful girl next to-no! Ladybug! His heart continued it's tug of war, and Chat sighed mentally, not realizing until Marinette looked at him with worry in her eyes that he had sighed out loud.

"Chat? Is something wrong?" she asked him, breaking the previous silence between the two.

"Never been better," he told her with a bright smile. She watched as he shivered again, realizing that it was getting cold.

"Chat? We better head to my house, it's getting cold out," she told him.

He nodded his assent, pulled her onto his back again, and took off for her house again, thinking the whole way. He knew he would have to choose, but who? His lady, or his princess?

He dropped her off on her balcony, and she told him, "As much as I hate to say this, you need to leave. It's getting late, and although we don't have school tomorrow I know your dad probably has something planned for you."

Chat winced as he remembered the sunrise photoshoot his father had planned for him the next day. "You're right. If I have any time at all I will come visit you tomorrow, okay?"

"Okay. And Kitty? Thank you."

"Anytime Princess."

She watched him leave, frowning as she saw him shiver again. Yes, she would definitely need to start on her design for him soon.