14 - Reuniting with old friends.

~Emma~

Thank god I could finally get to go on a plane ride that's long enough for a movie, well, at least read something without having to put it back straight away. I stuck on my headphones and pulled out a book from my carry-on bag.
I read for a bit before I got a sudden need to pee. I quickly got up and started walking towards the toilet, but of course, my clumsiness stopped me. Walking past the seats which were uncomfortably too close, I ended up crashing against some randoms tray, causing all the food and his drink to spill all over him and me.
I end up falling onto the floor, as the turbulence lights come on which ends up causing the flight attendant to come rushing over to me.
"Miss, you need to get back to your seat." I apologise and try to get up.
"I am so sorry about this, I'm a total klutz." The guy, who looked around my age maybe a little older, smiled at me looking like he was about to laugh.
"It's fine honestly, It happens. I'm Rhys Baker." He holds his hand out awaiting mine.
"I'm Emma Breslin. Nice to meet you." I smile at him standing up with his help.
The seatbelt sign was off by now and I helped him get up off of his seat, the both of us walking to the bathroom hoping to clean up a little of the mess on us.
"So Emma, where are you heading off to in Adelaide?" Rhys asks, wiping some of the food off him, smiling at me.
"Um...I think it is Middleton. My friends live there so I'm going to meet with them, with my big brother." Rhys looks at me still smiling.
"I'm going there too, with my two douchebag mates over there." I smile and finished up on wiping my top clean.
"Again I am so very sorry about this." He smiles and we walked back to his seat talking for the rest of the plane trip.

"Chris where is my bag!?" I ask my big brother confused. We were one of the only ones left including Rhys and his mates and my bag was nowhere to be seen.
"Is that it?" He asks, pointing to a purple suitcase coming round the thing. I nod and blush, of course, Rhys still has to be here.
Turns out Rhys and his mates were only a street away so we all got into a taxi together them leaving first before me being on my own pulling up to my best friends current place of residence.
I knock on the door awaiting my best friends voice.
The door opened revealing Ines and Connor looking all lovey-dovey.
"Emma! Oh god honey I'm so glad to see you!" She pulled me into a hug, Connor closing the door behind me before hugging me himself.
"You alright?" He whispers in my ear. I nod and smile dropping my bags on the floor.
"Emma! Babe, you okay?" Lily asks giving me a hug.
"Yeah, I'm still pissed and upset, but what can you do, my parents are never going to change."

~Ines~

I wake up and stare at the little red dots of my clock trying to make out what they are reading. Bloody hell Ines, you've been staring at them for five minutes what's the time? Urgh, three in the morning. I sit up and look out my window; it's still dark outside. I can see the moon. Go to sleep Ines. I lie down and try to, but I can't, I'm awake now, I have no chance. I jump out of bed dodging the two other mattresses on the floor, I'm surprised we all fit in my room. Lily and Em are both sleeping peacefully, urgh jealous. it's cooler out in the hall. Maybe I should get a jumper, I creep back inside and get my big woollen one from the cupboard. I sneak a peek into Jacks room. Both very asleep, they look very happy in their sleep the two boys, Connor on the floor and Jack in his bed. I'll be a nice person and let them sleep; I creep down the hall, all you can hear is the whir of the fridge and the tick of a clock. Maybe I should step outside, I know its illegal but I need some air and I won't go far!
Who am I arguing with?
Oh, grief this is how it starts. 

Outside the air is brisk. White vapour shoots from my mouth and into the night around me, I snuggle into my jumper, glad I brought the thickest I had. I sit on the white plastic banana lounge that's just sitting out in our yard, we're just so cool like that. I read that if everyone in the world looked at the stars the world would be a better place because they would realise how small their problems were. Stars are so beautiful, so mysterious, we name them and state what they're made of and act like we know everything about them but really we don't, they're so far away who knows what those burning balls of gas could be hiding. The quiet sound of the door opening startles me from my thoughts. I recognise Connors swagger as he walks towards me.
"You know this is breaking the rules," he whispers to me, shoving me over on the lounge and cuddling up to me. He was shivering.
"Connor, you'll catch a cold and die, go inside," I whisper trying to keep him warm.
"Oh, but of course, it's fine for you to be out here and all. What are you doing out here? You ok?" He looks at me, his blue eyes clouded with concern. I rest my face against his chest, his strong arms holding me tight. If you concentrate really hard all you can hear is the rattle of wind.
"You know you can tell me anything." He says softly.
"Yes, I know." For four years this has been sitting in me like a liquid in a cauldron and now Connor's lit the flames its all about to come bubbling over the sides. I take a deep breath. "It's my dad." I start. "He was really messed up, on drugs and always heavily intoxicated. But he was madly in love with our mum, and he was nice to us when he wasn't like off his head, which was a lot of the time. Anyway, um..." Come on sweetie you're going great.