Chapter 12 - Love hidden under the veil of friendship

It had been two weeks since dinner at the Cuthbert's, Sebastian was leaving to fish at his usual spot, it was getting colder and colder, and he was feeling it, winter would arrive in a little over a month, it was probably going to be one of his last fishing sessions.

He settled down by the river, he was surprised not to see Muriel that day, deep down he had hoped to spend some time with the teacher, he found her sparkling and she made him laugh, it was like a little ray of sunshine since he had lost his wife Mary.
There were few people like Miss Stacy around, so she brought him a lot of freshness.

The following week, he decided to return to the river one last time before the beginning of winter. And this time he was surprised to see the blonde woman sitting there on the bank. She was as covered as he was, it was really getting cold that day, she was wearing pants, a long coat, and a piece of cloth that covered her ears and her hair.

She was surprised to see the latter arrive, "Oh Sebastian! I didn't expect to see you here today, it's been a long time, I missed you!", she said with a smile, she got up quickly to shake his hand. Bash smiled back, but when their hands touched, time seemed to stand still, the two friends looked into each other's eyes, as if they wanted to guess each other's thoughts.

Sebastian ends up interrupting this exchange, "I-I should settle down." Muriel nodded, she seemed embarrassed by what had just happened, and then added, as if save face, "I was just saying I'm missing someone to listen to my nonsense!”

Sebastian, who was getting ready to start his fishing session, was taken aback by the phrase, "Oh, I see, so me or anyone else would do." he had his eyes full of mischief as he replied that.

But the teacher didn't get the joke and took the attack seriously, she stammered, "That-that's not what I meant at all! You-you're probably the man whose company I prefer to Avonlea!”

The latter was once again amused by the woman, "I was kidding! You don't have to justify yourself to me! In any case, I will miss our interviews here during the winter.", he added sincerely.

The woman with blond hair decided to move to sit next to her charming interlocutor. He was surprised by this approach, and then she said, "Tell me if I'm out of line, but would it be possible to see us during the winter anyway, and I would be happy to see the little Delphine again.”

The man had not thought of his daughter since he had settled on the shore, nor had he thought of the memory of the little girl's mother, Mary, he felt guilty, for it was Muriel who had just brought him back to earth. And he did not want to forget the memory of his wife, was that what he was trying to do during those weeks, by spending time with Miss Stacy, or was it just to be happy for a moment, forgetting his sorrow a little?

There was a long silence before he replied, "I think you could visit Delphine, she would be very happy.”

The eyes of the young teacher were sweating with joy, "Well! I-I'm very happy! I hope you didn't feel obliged to accept! »

To tease her, he began his sentence with, "Well, maybe... But no! That gave me a lot of joy too. You're like a breath of fresh air in my life, I enjoy being in your company, and besides I think you're the woman whose company I prefer to Avonlea, but since I don't see many of them, that compliment is probably not as strong as yours."
Muriel smiles shyly at the young father's compliments.

At the end of the day, Sebastian went home with his fishing bucket in his hand, Hazel his mother was feeding Delphine, before putting her to bed to sleep.
She scolded her son, "Well! You've taken your time today, the sun is setting!”

He used to suffer his mother's mood swings, but that night, he was less affected than usual, he had a smile on his face. Elijah, who was finishing his supper, remarked, "I think he was in too good company, he lost track of time." he laughed. 

But that didn't make Hazel laugh at all, "Whatever! We meanwhile, we're waiting for the gentleman for dinner, next time at least bring this woman back for dinner with us, that'll kill two birds with one stone.”

His son didn't expect his mother to say this, so he jumped at the chance, "It's a good thing you're saying that, I was thinking of inviting Muriel to dinner next weekend, well I'd have to ask her as well.”

The woman in her old age sighed, "Do as you wish my son, after all this is your home."

Elijah laughed as he heard the woman do her best to make an effort, "You won't get any better approval, I don't know if that counts, but you have mine too.”

Sebastian rolled his eyes, "What approval? Only for dinner?", his stepson stared at him with an amused look, "Yes... Just dinner...Was it you who mocked Blythe on a certain subject?”

The young father laughed, "Me...? I had nothing to do with that idiot Blythe, it was literally right in front of his nose all those years!”

His mother got angry, "Don't speak ill of this young man! Without him, God only knows where you would be right now!”

Bash put one hand on his mother's shoulder, "I don't think you understand how much I value this boy. He's my little brother." With those words, he sat at the table with his family.