Chapter 21 - Changes with Consequences

In his room at the University of Toronto campus, Jack had spent Sunday with his nose in his books, without his roommate, the time seemed a little longer than usual.

He had made no other friendships on campus, so the insecure young man preferred to stay in his room all day. Suddenly, he was bored to death when he saw Gilbert walk through the door.

The young redhead didn't expect it, so he jumped up and down, "Gil-Gilbert! What the hell are you doing here?!"

The dark-haired boy frowned, confused, "I'm home...?"

Jack got up out of bed, and looked sorry, "Oh...I see."

This caused the young student to react as he was unpacking his luggage, "And what do you see?", he asked, stunned.

"Anne fired you, I take it that didn't go well.... I wasn't expecting you until tomorrow.", he said, scratching his head.

"I didn't go all the way to Charlottetown, in fact, Anne had left to visit me here in Toronto." he said with a little smile on his face.

The redhead reacts immediately, "Sorry, quick conclusion, I should have noticed that kind of smile. And so...?" He asked him curiously.

Gilbert lowered his head to avert his friend's eyes, one could perceive a certain modesty, "We... stayed together in Montreal."

Jack smiled and exclaimed, "Lucky you!"

The dark-haired boy nodded and couldn't help but let out a little laughter.

A little later, the two young men were on their way to the campus cafeteria for dinner.

On the road, Gilbert had stopped at a billboard, there were various announcements, one of which caught the attention of the young medical student.

This also attracted his friend, "Here... Are you interested in teaching now?"

The boy with the brown curls untied the advertisement, and put the piece of paper in his pocket, "Let's just say that... my money reserves are going to run out if I don't get a job soon."

The redhead said in a most serious tone, "You know, if you need anything, I can... ", He was cut off by his friend, "No, that's not necessary, but thank you.", he said, tapping his friend's shoulder.

The two young students went on their way, Jack was pensive, something was bothering him, "You know, the ad you just picked up, I know this family, my father had befriended Mr. Stuart, he had made a very generous donation to his private clinic. Anyway, the point is, I know this address, if you need a guide."

Gilbert nodded and smiled, "Of course! It's true that I always forget that you lived here for a while."

"I lived there for a short time, but long enough to remember the families I met there. And believe me, the Stuart family made a bigger impression on me than the others, I had been close to Ronald and Christine, Mr. Stuart's children, they're twins, I wonder what happened to them... When I moved to Halifax, Nova Scotia, I totally lost touch with them." he says, again lost in thought.

"In that case you will come with me! Furthermore, the advertisement does not indicate for which of his children he was looking for private lessons." The young man with the brown curls noted.

Jack began to laugh and confessed, "Oh, I'd put my hand out that it's Christine. Christine Stuart is by far the less disciplined of the two.", The young redhead had a slight smile on his lips, dreamy, he added, "She was very cute, if I wasn't... me... I would have wooed her."

When the two young men finally arrived in front of the cafeteria, Gilbert turned to his friend, "You know, you shouldn't sell yourself short like that. Tomorrow get ready!" he teased.