Chapter 1, Part 5: Training

Part 5

Two weeks later Dax watched from the sidelines as Tri Hanny ran the squad’s practice session during their afternoon drill. With the first trials just three weeks away, the corps now used their afternoon physical training period to practice the different events. On the first day of practice, Squad D had gotten their event groups sorted out. Hanny had ventured the idea to Dax of appointing event leaders to run their own training while she and Dax consulted from group to group. Cross training between events added potential for serious chaos, but Hanny impressed Dax with the schedule she made to keep things moving along. At first Dax had had to step in from time to time to help with basic skills, but now most of the cadets had learned the basics of what they needed to do. The coding and signaling teams worked the hardest often carrying their practice sessions over into their open recreation period.

Even Tagget participated albeit reluctantly. He had volunteered for the 10-furlong run, but Dax knew he took advantage of the part of the running path which was out of sight to loaf along. While the others came back hot and sweaty after a run, Tagget would trail in at an easy jog scarcely out of breath.

Across the parade ground where the teams were practicing, Dax saw a figure approaching. He started to smile. Even at a distance he recognized Scarlet’s distinctive gait. As he got closer, Scarlet spotted him and waved. When he arrived, Dax clasped Scarlet’s hand in welcome. “Good to see you. How is Cella?”

“Never better. She sends her love.” Scarlet scanned the squad as they worked. “So, is this your new command?”

Dax nodded. “I am the advising officer for Squad D of Company 3.” He broke into a grin. “The Communications Relay is coming up. This was Renshau’s idea to keep me out of trouble for a few weeks.”

“And, it looks like you are doing your usual fine job of letting everyone else do the work.”

“And, you are just trying to give me a hard time, Dax replied. “That girl over there,” Dax pointed. “Name’s Tri Hanny, and she’s a good one for organization. Give her a couple more years, and she’ll be company commander—at least.”

Dax continued talking about the squad and their training for several minutes before Scarlet interrupted. “If I didn’t know better, I’d think you were actually enthused about this little project.”

For a moment Dax stared off in the distance across the parade ground towards the water in the distance. “This was Renshau’s idea. He said I was getting cold and hard. That I needed to get in touch with my political skills for a new job he may have for me this fall.” He looked back at Scarlet. “I think he was right. Maybe I should spend more time here.”

“New job? Is somebody having more bandit troubles?”

“Hmm?” Dax had distracted himself by thinking about working at the Academy. “Oh, sorry. No, the job is a position as a political advisor. I probably wouldn’t even have to get my shoes dirty.”

Kahshect and the other dragons arrived two days later. There was a large field on the opposite side of the Commandant’s residence from the Academy, and Dax spent the next several evenings there conversing with Treyhorn, Renshau, and the dragons. They caught up with news from the Dragon Lands while letting the dragons know what was new in the world of men. When the dragons heard about Dax’s job of supervising a squad in training for the Communications Relay, Teycuktet and Namkafnir were not impressed, but Kahshect immediately sensed Dax’s enthusiasm for the project. In fact he was so interested, he wanted to meet the squad. Dax mulled it over and told the dragon he could come to their swim practice tomorrow afternoon. Everyone was supposed swim the relay distance as backup for the two already picked for the team. After that, Dax wanted the squad to spend the rest of the afternoon recreation period just having fun in the water.