Chapter Thirty-Five

Forty Years Later

Hermione stared out in front of her. Everyone that she loved was there. Her children, her grandchildren, Ginny, Harry, George, and their kids. Draco even made it out. After that lunch forty years earlier, they had all grown to be friends. They enjoyed numerous Christmas parties at the Malfoy Manor. Everyone had put their pasts to the side and welcomed a beautiful friendship. They had all become more like family than friends. So everyone that Hermione would want around her that day, was. Well, of course, all but one person.

"Aren't you going to make a wish, mum?" Rose asked as she placed her hand on her mother's shoulder. Every year since Ron had passed away, they needed to push her to make a wish on her birthday just like Ron had done before. She used to say that she had everything she could wish for but, Ron was not here anymore and she couldn't wish him back to life.

Draco stepped forward and placed his hand on her other shoulder. Astoria had passed away the same way Ron had the same year he did. It started with a cold and turned into a full-blown illness that muggles couldn't even figure out a cure for. Hermione and Draco had been the life-line each other needed to make it through the pain associated with losing a spouse.

"He would want you to make a wish," Draco whispered. "He would want you to be happy, remember?"

Hermione nodded her head before blowing out the candles on her birthday cake.

The party came down to a halt. Rose, like every year, asked her to stay over but, like every year, Hermione refused. After hugs, kisses, and some well wishes, everyone left. Hermione started her clean-up routine. She needed to keep busy. There were certain days of the year that were the hardest for her. Birthdays, holidays, and their anniversary were the hardest for her. They were every year.

"Would you like some help?" Draco asked as he walked over to her.

Hermione smiled at him and reached her arms out to him. Without missing a beat, he pulled her into a hug. The spark was felt by both of them. No matter how many years passed, the spark was still there.

He pulled out of the hug first. "I've never stopped loving you, Hermione Weasley," Draco said. "Ron had talked to me about it before. Even Astoria had said something. I had made a promise to both of them and it is time for me to act on it." He reached into his coat pocket and handed her a letter.

Hermione opened it and instantly started to cry as she saw the handwriting. She had learned the specific curves of his writing since she was eleven.

To my beautiful wife on her Seventy-eighth birthday,

It has been five years, roughly, since my death. I only say roughly since, who knows, I may make it that long! I love you. I have always loved you and no matter what happens will always love you, even from up above.

I don't want you to live alone. I want you to find happiness wherever you can. I want you to be happy. I want you to smile. I want you to remember me and the amazing adventures we have gone through over the many years we've shared.

Draco is going through the same thing as us. His wife and I will wait for you both to come back to us but, until then, find yourselves in each other. Everyone needs someone to hold their hand. I had you. Astoria had Draco. Now, the two of you can have each other.

I love you. Now find happiness again.

Love always,
Ron

Hermione broke. She cried. She clung on to Draco and cried. He held onto her tightly.

When her sobs finally subsided, he lifted her chin and slowly brought his lips to hers.

"To the end of the Earth and back, remember?"

[[A/N: We have come to the end! I hope that you all enjoyed it. I worked hard on this. So this is a very bittersweet moment for me. I am extremely happy that I had followed through and finished this. I am also sad because I have enjoyed writing this twist to the classic tale we all love. So, please vote and comment and share this story with friends. I love you all!]]