VIII.

[2015]

"She's got to be out there somewhere! I just know it!"

"Steve, it's been three months," Sam interjected. "It's doubtful we're going to find her again."

Steve shook his head. "I don't know. She seems to gravitate toward me."

Sam smirked. "Yeah, you do kind of have that effect on people." He laughed at the dark look Steve shot his way.

"Not like that. Something happened during the war, something to do with the 107th, that she blames me for. She won't stop until she rights that wrong, and I won't stop until I know what it is and what I can do to make it right."

Sam stretched his right arm across his chest then switched to the left. "What about our other friend? Or, you know, your friend."

"Nat's got that covered for now, and I wouldn't exactly call Tala a friend." He sank into a chair and sighed before burying his face in his hands.

Sam leaned against the wall and studied his friend. "You really think we're going to find her again?" His tone had become much more sincere, losing the teasing from a minute ago.

Steve didn't answer at first, but he finally looked up at Sam. Tossing his hands in the air, he responded, "That... or she'll find us."

                                                                  ■ ◙ ■ ◙ ■

I've never been this strong before, but I've also never been this afraid. Why do I fear my mission, my task? He's responsible, and I must make him pay... but why do I have to keep telling myself that?

                                                                  ■ ◙ ■ ◙ ■

"Hey, Steve! I may have found something."

Steve came running from down the hall. He had spent the night at Sam's after spending all last evening plotting different ways to track down Tala Wren. "Her?"

"Maybe." Sam squinted at his computer screen. Natasha had set them up with a tracking software, and they had put it to work last night before going to bed. "Yeah, it's her."

Steve stood up straight, his face set in resolute determination. "Alright, let's do this."

"Ah, yes! I've been waiting for some action," Sam cheered, sending the search results to his cell phone. When he was done, he shut the computer down and spun around to face his friend. "When do we leave?"

Steve picked up his shield and locked eyes with Sam. "Right now. Grab your suit."

Sam ran to where he kept his Falcon wing-pack stored while he was home, muttering excitedly under his breath about finally seeing some action. When he came back out, Steve was waiting by the door, but he didn't open it right away. "Come on. Are we going or what?"

"You know, she's probably expecting us to show up sometime soon."

Sam led the way out the back door and to his car. He glanced back at Steve over his shoulder. "Yeah, so?"

Steve climbed into the passenger seat, turning to place his shield on the backseat. "So, she'll probably be stronger this time."

Sam scoffed. "Man, we've faced her before. We know what we're going up against. Let's just do this!"

Steve tried to hide the smirk on his face by staring out the passenger window as they got going. "Alright, but don't say I didn't warn you!

                                                                  ■ ◙ ■ ◙ ■

I can sense them coming, but I don't know what to do. I've never been so torn. She studied the trees around her. It felt like they were closing in on her. She felt trapped, lost, scared. Her breathing grew rapid, and her eyes widened, taking in every detail of the shadows around her. I don't know which way to turn. Suddenly, she turned and spotted the man with the metal wings. She backed herself up against a tree and snarled, warning him to keep his distance. Across the clearing, the other man emerged from the tree line. Her eyes darted between the two, settling on the first with startling ferocity. But I know I won't go down without a fight!