14. The American Dream

Daphne's eating habits (despite the holiday set back) have greatly improved, and she's even taken to having a snack every once in a while. And, because I share a room with her, I notice that she's less focused on how her body looks, and more so on how her outfit looks. I didn't hear a peep when her thighs started gaining a more healthier plump, but I did hear her complain when her headband didn't match the same green as her tie. And I highly prefer that over her body criticism.

She's also got back into running now that the weather is nicer, but she won't go unless Isola or I join. Partly, she wants to make sure we know she's doing better, and partly, she wants company. It's no longer that she's punishing herself for eating, it's now about enjoyment, and she enjoys running with people.

So after dinner, the three of us head out for a jog (a proper jog) around the lake.

One thing I've noticed, is the guys that tend to look at us, Isola sees, as well, but Daphne, she seems too preoccupied in our discussions to take note of them. I guess that's why she continues the runs, I mean, it's not like we're the only students in Hogwarts who exercise, but if she saw the way guys look at her, I don't think she'd be too eager to run again. Luckily, Isola and I have very good glares.

And as we're rounding back to the castle, our collection of eyes catch Max sitting on one of the benches along the pathway and waiting.

"All three of you, really?" He asks when we slow to a stop in front of him, he hands Isola her book bag. "I've been looking all over for you."

"Sorry." Daphne smiles without any sincerity in her voice. "You could always join us."

But Max shakes his head, a look of disinterest in his face until his eyes catch something behind us, and it turns into one of his scowls.

"Let's just go inside." He says, and his hand reaches out to guide Daphne away.

"Already?" She complains. "It's so nice out."

His eyes flicker to her for a second before going back somewhere else, and I turn to look at where he's focused, only to see a couple guys that I recognize as ones that have roaming eyes.

Oh.

"Fine." He turns to Isola. "Courtyard? I'll be right there."

She nods her head, then loops her arm with Daphne's and the two of them head on. I stay back and Max raises an eyebrow at me.

"You go on."

"I'll wait." I insist, curious to see what he's doing, and he shrugs, reaching into his robes and pulling out his wand.

My eyebrows furrow slightly, then shoot up to my hairline as, with one firm swish of his wand, Max sends a perfect knee-reversal hex towards one of the boys with the wandering eyes. Without so much as an incantation.

And I hear them cry out suddenly, my eyes, along with the few passerbys around, being locked on to their grotesquely deformed limbs, and unable to turn away. Max turns around, pocketing his wand swiftly and walking off. I snap out of my trance and move quickly to catch up.

"What was that for." I say, the image of the boy with backwards knees very prominent in my mind.

"I didn't like how they were looking at you guys." He states, pulling off his robe as we walk up to Daphne and Isola, who are unaware of what just happened.

They smile at us, and I see now what Max means. Daphne's work out clothes are a bit revealing, as she bought them when she was much skinnier and she's started to gain some healthy weight in places many guys would like.