20. Goodbye

62% and rising.

I'm somewhere when it happens - somewhere in the castle, obviously. But when I see aurors running around the corridors, heading in various directions, I know something is wrong. I just don't know what.

So I book it to the Slytherin common room, passing by students just as confused as me rushing around, waiting for someone to clarify the commotion.

And I get stopped by Isola, holding the most emotion I've ever seen on her face - worry.

When her eyes meet mine, it looks like she's found her purpose, and she maneuvers herself through the students to get to me.

"What's going on." I ask, getting bumped by a kid.

"The headmaster's been murdered." She tells me, and in her monotone voice it sounds completely menacing.

My jaw goes slack.

"Headmaster Dumbledore." I choke out and she nods.

"Snape used the killing curse." I try and wrap my head around the words she's saying. "Death eaters are in the castle, Maxim left."

"Left?" My voice comes out like a squeak. "What do you mean left?"

"His father's here, tried to get him to join one last time and he refused." Her face contorts into a fraction of a grimace. "I told him to get out now. He's in a safe place."

"He didn't even say goodbye." I tell her, and Isola's eyes scan the busy corridor, deciding it's not the place she wants to talk to me. So she grabs my arm to pull me in the direct of the dungeons.

"You and I will see him soon."

"Did Daphne go with him?"

Isola shakes her head.

"She's in the dorms." She answers. "She's not coming to America with us."

"What." I say. "Is she coming after?"

"She's staying." Isola looks at me. "Here. In the UK. At Hogwarts."

"You can't be serious." I don't believe what I'm hearing.

"Chantal, you're slowing us down." Her voice cuts and I quicken my pace to keep up with her.

"Isola, she has to be coming with us." I say as she practically pushes me through the portrait hole.

"Go talk to her." She commands but I stay still. "Go. I'll be right there, I have to get you something from Maxim."

The reminder of his name puts me into action, and I leave Isola in the common room to go find Daphne. She's packing her things prematurely, our other roommates mulling around with open trunks. The news must have prompted everyone to think we're going home early.

"Get out. I need to talk to Daphne." I tell Parkinson.

"Excuse me?" She gapes.

"Get out." I repeat with clenched fists, trying not to show my irritation. She doesn't say anything, but obeys, taking Bulstrode and Davis with her.

As soon as the door shuts, I say,

"What happened."

"I guess Isola's told you I'm not coming." Daphne gives me a look of sympathy.

"What do you mean you're not coming." I demand.

"I mean I'm not leaving." Daphne says with such a calm demeanour that I don't know how to respond.

"But..." I shake my head. "But, that was the plan. We're going to America. You can't just back out!"

"I won't leave my sister." She tells me.