Chapter 2

The last thing April could clearly remember was a sickening cracking sound as the truck ran right into her. Everything else around her seemed to be a bit fuzzy and happened very quickly.

When she opened her eyes, the truck that ran into her was long gone, and in its place was a sea of people gathering around her. They all seemed to be in shock of what they had just witnessed happen. It seemed that nearly everyone in the surrounding area was gathering around; all except for a guy dressed in black from head to toe, with the hood of his jacket pulled over his head. It was as if her accident had not fazed him in the slightest. Was it possible that he was the crazy driver in truck that had run her down?

"April," Brad yelled and knelt down beside her. "Are you hurt? What am I saying? Of course, you're hurt! Where does it hurt?"

"My right side," April exclaimed as she started to move her legs and gasped in pain. "Oh gosh. I think it's broken."

"What happened exactly," Brad asked frantically. "You were right beside me, and then..."

"I went splat," she finished. "Someone pushed me and I fell. And when I got up, oh gosh," she said again as a jolt of pain traveled up from her foot to her ribs, "I saw a truck headed straight at me."

"Take it easy," Brad said placing both of his hands on her shoulders and gently pushed her back down. Warmth seemed to travel from her shoulders throughout her entire body. It was a pleasant feeling and April welcomed it. Her pain seemed to subside and she could feel her eyes beginning to close. For the moment, she was at peace and very comfortable, not caring about the sea of people gathering around her.

"Who are you," April asked groggily. She blinked a few times before looking at her surroundings. The floor was tiled white and the walls around her held wooden cabinets full of medical supplies. She looked down at herself and saw that she was lying in a bed with an iv attached to her arm.

"Am I in a hospital," April asked the strange, yet handsome man, standing in front of her. He was wearing a white coat over a pair of blue scrubs and had a stethoscope dangling from his shoulders. His face though, seemed to be somewhat fuzzy.

"Yes, you are," the man replied with a soft smile. He grabbed a flashlight from one of his coat pockets and clicked it on and off in her eyes repeatedly. "My name is Dr. Farley, and I will be your doctor this evening."

"Oh," was all she could say at the moment.

"Hit and run if I'm correct," Dr. Farley continued, gently placing his hand on her shoulder. Like with Brad, April could feel the warmth spread throughout her entire body from just his hand alone, and felt herself starting to doze off until he spoke next.

"You're in terrible danger, April," he said softly.

April sat up straighter, thinking that maybe she hadn't heard him correctly. She blinked a few times in confusion and tilted her head to the side. It wasn't what she expected to hear from her doctor, and it wasn't really something a doctor would say to his patient outright, unless they were dying.

Oh my gosh, April thought starting to panic. Was she dying?

She couldn't think of anything else to say but "what," desperately hoping she had heard him wrong. She strained her ears and concentrated very hard with his words to follow.

"I can see you're confused," he sighed quietly. "Unfortunately, I don't have much time to explain. But you best be on your guard, April. Everyone is counting on you. Their lives, the ones your love, all depend on the actions you take."

So, she wasn't dying? That was a good thing. But even though it was a relief to know, she still didn't feel all that relieved. Perhaps it was because her doctor told her that she was in danger, and so were the lives of the ones she loved. But what was she, and everyone, in danger from exactly? April knew she had to ask him this question. Perhaps he could give her the answer and some insight on how to fix the problem.

"I'm sorry," Dr. Farley said looking over his shoulder. "That's all I have time for."

"But I have questions," April said, her eyes growing large in realization that her questions would not be answered. "Please don't go."

"I'm sorry, child, but I have to. But don't fret. We'll meet again."

"We will," she asked confused. Did her doctor know where she lived? Was he going to make a house call? And how come he knew she was in danger? What the hell was going on here?

"Yes, we will. Now, it's best if you sleep now. You'll need plenty of rest for what is still yet to come."

"But I'm not tired," April pouted. "I just want this to make sense. Nothing is making any sense."

"Later," he said quickly and smiled. "I promise."

Again, like before, April could feel herself dozing off as his warmth traveled through her.

"Trust Brad," she heard Dr. Farley mention faintly in the corner of her mind. "He'll protect you."

"Mhm," April mumbled as she slid into unconsciousness.