Part 3: Childhood Trauma and Reparenting Their Wounds

Childhood Trauma

With many circumstances in your life, your childhood plays a part important role in who you are now. Our mannerisms, our beliefs and our morals are just a few examples of things we pick up from our early environment. It's important to acknowledge our experiences because we can learn ways to re-parent and treat some of the wounds we have been walking around with for years, sometimes our whole lives. In the early stages of development, we soak up our experiences. The imprints of the traumatic experiences, and its memory turn into scars that we become responsible for healing. We pick up these habits from our childhood and carry them with us until we get the courage to heal.

When we think of childhood, we think of fun, creativity, playfulness, happiness, laughter... though, this isn't the case for everyone. In Part 3, we will be identifying some of the underlying factors in childhood trauma that need attention and care in order to improve your growth as well as, some of the proper ways to reparent those wounds.

Before we dive deep, let's talk about forgiveness.

No matter the situation, you owe yourself forgiveness. It's choosing to free yourself from the pain that was caused. It is hard to confront these wounds but they're present in your anger, they show up in your mistrust in others and it makes you closed off.

Some common themes of childhood trauma that we experience are;

Hostility,

Aggression,

Emotional Neglect,

Detachment,

Unstability,

Abandonment,

Mistrust,

Discomfort,

And so many more.

We can easily identify these traumas in our own lives that were imposed on us from younger years. You aren't responsible for the traumas that you have experienced but you are responsible for transforming out of those programs. Traumatic energy from a parent/guardian can turn into internalised anger or resentment. When pain and resentment is carried into your adulthood, projection is more-than-likely to present itself.

For example, projecting emotional neglect onto others is not listening to others' opinions because no one listens to yours. Projection from a detached childhood could manifest as not making meaningful connections in your adult years because you're not used to opening up. These traumas close us off and block us from being in alignment with our true selves.

Re-parenting wounds

When you "re-parent" your wounds you claim responsibility for your healing. It's more like fixing what's broken by mending your own gaps and filling some of the holes in your heart. When we walk around with the trauma

Your inner child is a term used to refer to our personal child-like energy. It's not the energy you grew up in, but how your heart truly is, how creative, loving, fun, confident, adventurous you really are, apart from outside influences.

Be gentle with yourself. If while growing up, you felt as though people were always letting you down it may have been hard for you to trust in people as you started to grow older. Be gentle with yourself because it's tough to go through; be gentle with yourself because you don't have to carry that burden. Projection comes into play when we start hurting others because of this.

Become the pilot of your plane. That is, make the conscious decision to redirect your pain. You may or may not want to hear this but turn your pain into passion, creativity... After all, that is what the energy of our inner child is.

Write a letter to your younger self expressing nothing but heartfelt words. It could be a letter writing what you wish you knew [at whatever age], but most importantly, make sure you express your love to yourself. It may feel awkward, but you are fully encouraged to love yourself anyway!

Lots and lots of self care. Self care isn't just facemasks and lip scrubs, It's paying attention to your health, practicing boundaries, connecting with nature, proper sleep, and partaking in joyous activities.

Validating your emotions. If your environment wasn't receptive to your emotional needs, it is important to create a space for your emotions to be heard and honored, i.e journaling.

Daily affirmations. Affirmation is the practice of positive thinking and self-empowerment.

I also want to take the time to mention to seek help, if you need it

I also want to take the time to mention to seek help, if you need it. It is more common than you may think to seek professional help if you have fears of feeling alone through this.

Happy Healing!