Chapter Twenty: Void Born

The hallways were dark, dank, and generally the most disgusting place Sakura had seen. She was fairly sure she could spy traces of dried, blackened blood smeared on the walls and floors at various intervals. Evidently the foul creatures which resided there didn't invest in any sort of hygiene regime, and Sakura was only glad that clinging to the back of her wolf had covered her scent somewhat – otherwise she might have been forced to take drastic measures in order not to be found.

Cautiously, she crept forward, hesitantly peeking around the corners of the corridor, as well as keeping an eye on the various alcoves she could duck into in order to hide. Truthfully, she had absolutely no idea where she was going, but something was urging her onwards and upwards – a tugging in her gut. Her instincts. Sakura trusted those the most, though admittedly she didn't have much else to go on.

The fortress was where Madara was, that was for certain, but she hadn't been given any information on where inside the fortress her beloved idiot was being held. Because surely by then he'd realised what a massive mistake he'd made and was trying to get back to her... Sakura scowled at the memory of him leaving like the utter fool he was. But she'd get him back. She would bring him back and knock some sense into that thick skull of his. Stupid Uchiha and their stupid stubbornness and single-mindedness.

Her footsteps were so quiet, partially due to her elven heritage, and partially because she was so tiny and light. Part of her was grateful for her small size – because it meant there were that many more places for her to hide – but the other part was still bitter for losing her chakra thanks to that new body of hers. Still, she reminded herself, diving into a nearby alcove at the sounds of more of those voices speaking in that foul tongue of theirs, it wasn't like there was anything she could do about that now.

Shrinking back into the shadows to hide herself further, Sakura froze as she bumped into something solid, warm, and vaguely leg-shaped. Stiffening, she spun around, stomach dropping like a boulder as she spied the golden hair and the unamused expression on the older elf's face.

So that was where Glorfindel had gotten to, she mused, deliberately looking away as she spotted Elrohir joining him in his stern stare of disapproval. The same one which said they would be discussing this in detail later. Or, in other words, scolding her like the disobedient child she seemed to be. Sakura resisted the urge to stick her tongue out. It wasn't like she was actually a child.

"You must stay close," Glorfindel whispered, tone sharp and scolding as he snuck stealthily out from the cover, hurrying through the next set of corridors with alarming ease. "Tarry not! Your friend is close, and we must leave before daybreak."

Sakura perked up at that, heart pounding as they continued walking through the fortress, ducking for cover whenever those ugly creatures appeared. It was a stealth operation, meaning they couldn't be found, lest they wanted to alert the army stationed around the fortress. Minutes trickled by like hours, and Sakura found herself waiting with bated breath as she followed her usual golden-haired minder.

It felt like hours before they reached the topmost room of the fortress, the door creaking open loudly – a sound which made her wince as they hurried into the room, only to be met with the sight of Madara lying there in the very centre of it, seemingly asleep.

Sakura made to rush forwards, but the arm which came in front of her stopped her in her tracks. "These markings mean nothing good. There is foul stench to this, whispers of a ploy we do not wish to pass," he remarked, befuddling Sakura as she stared around the room, brow furrowing as she spied the moon shining in through a gap in the roofing. It shone down, and Sakura felt the hum of a power at work before she disregarded Glorfindel's warning, running through the foul letters written in blood as they began to burn a bright amber colouring.