Confrontation

Colleen's POV

Over-played music blared in my ears as I tried to draw Drew.

"Okay, you have 30 seconds til you have to switch!" the teacher hollered. Great, just great. The only evidence that I've been drawing is one shaky line of charcoal.
"Collie, hurry up! You have..." Drew glanced at the wall clock. "5-4-3-2" he counted down dramatically.
"Stop doing that!" I said a little too loudly. Everyone turned their heads to look at me.
"Um, I meant- meant, er... Stop being so model-like." I stumbled over words and blushed bright red. Some people gave me a weird look but the majority were moving easels because we were supposed to switch with our partners.

"I'm sorry I was born beauti-" Drew started but I stomped on his foot and smiled sweetly at the teacher who looked less than thrilled with us.

After a grueling 30 minutes of drawing, the bell rung.

As I was walking down the hall, Drew hopped in front of me. I crashed into him and cursed.

"God dammit, Drew! You little f-" I began.

"Uh uh, there are children here. we don't use that kind of language." He scolded me. I grabbed his hand and led him to a bench where we won't cause traffic in the halls.

"There are unspoken rules that you can't seem to follow. Like, don't stop randomly in the damn hallway!" I said angrily.
"Okay, maybe it wasn't my best approach but I wanted to know why you're doing this." He asked.

I glanced at the choppy brown hair that hung limp in front of my face and said, "You mean this?" I gestured towards my hair and glasses.

"Yeah, and everything else! What on Earth are you doing?!" He demanded to know.

"I'm choosing to start from the bottom up." I said.

"What does that even mean?" He asked.

"I don't want to be a prissy girl anymore. I don't want to be the hot topic or prom queen. If people met me like this," I pointed to my disguise. "Then maybe they'd actually get to know the real me."

Drew shook his head and said, "You know you're crazy, right?"

I smiled and said, "Crazy about you."

Drew frowned. "You know you can't say those things to me."

"Fine, I know how it ended."
Drew nodded and got up. As he walked away, I wondered if he still felt something.
****
When unassigned came around, I had the freedom to do whatever I wanted. I went to the front desk and told the lady where I was going. She handed me a tracker which I stuffed in my bag.
I grabbed a pen and signed the honor code. By signing the honor code, I promised to stay where I said I'd go and abide but a few rules like no ditching your tracker and don't go killing innocent people.

"You're all good to go." The lady said. I glanced at my phone and saw I had about 40 minutes of free time.
****
The library seemed empty at first glance but then I saw a few people scattered around. I felt a similar relaxing sensation as I let a breath out I didn't know I was holding.

"Collie?!" A male voice said alarmed.

I looked over my shoulder to see David with girl about his age hanging on his shoulder.