Chapter 17

Chapter 17: New Beginnings

The next few days were quiet. Dick and Duela hardly spoke to Bruce. Instead, they spent most of their time visiting Babs at the hospital until she finally got out, confined to a wheelchair.

A few days after she got out, she and Dick were walking in Robinson Park.

"Dick," she said and looked at him with a serious look on her face. "Do you still love me?"

He smiled at her softly, though his eyes betrayed his worry. Any conversation that started like this usually ended badly.

"Of course I do. Why?"

She shook her head and sighed. "Dick, I think... I think we should end it."

His smile faded. "What?"

"I'm not sure I can be with you anymore."

His eyes filled with worry. "B-But... Why?"

She looked at him, tears in her eyes. "Because the lives we lead... The life I led... It's not safe! I got off lucky and I can't imagine how I'd feel if you...!"

She sobbed into her hands.

"I'm sorry, Dick."

Dick held back the tears. "I... I understand."

Duela came back with ice creams for the three of them when she saw Dick walking away.

"Where's he going?"

Barbara looked at her and sighed. "I don't know."

Noticing Babs' tears, Duela kissed her on the cheek.

"Whatever your problems are, I'm here for you. You can always talk to me if you want. You were there when I needed a friend so it's the least I can do."

Babs smiled through her tears and nodded. "Thank you, Duela."

-

A young woman walked into the Joker's cell in Arkham Asylum. She had blonde hair and circular, wire-framed glasses.

Joker smirked as he looked up at her, staring at her like a predator observing its prey.

"You're new here, aren't you?"

The woman nodded without looking up from her notes.

"First day. I was assigned to you after you talked your last psychiatrist into committing suicide."

She spoke with a thick New York accent.

Joker chuckled. "Very well, I'll try to make it...memorable for you."

She looked up at him. He was missing most of his teeth, having replaced them with metal caps. He was creepy and yet, there was something charming about him.

"Oh, you already have. Now, my name is Dr Harleen Quinzel, and I presume you're the famous Joker?"

Joker smiled. "In the flesh. Harleen Quinzel? Harleen Quinzel. Rework it a bit and you get... Do your friends call you Harley?"

She blushed a little. "Well, I don't have that many friends."

His smile widened. "Here's hoping I can change that."

-

Meanwhile, at the Warden's office, Warden Jeremiah Arkham was meeting with a man with graying black hair when a junior doctor walked in.

"Excuse me, Dr Arkham, I need to talk to you."

Dr Arkham looked up. He had red hair and wore thick black glasses.

"What is it, Ms Young?"

The woman looked at him with concern. "Did you assign Dr Quinzel to the Joker?"

Arkham shook his head. "No, but I can't see the harm in letting her try out. If it proves too much for her, we'll have her replaced."

The woman sighed. "Okay, but-"

She noticed blueprints for something on his desk. Something called Arkham Ci-

The dark-haired man caught her by the throat. Arkham shook his head.

"You really shouldn't have barged into the room right now."

The man broke her neck.

"Sorry about the mess, Jeremy, but we're too close right now. And if you fuck up, the Court can have you replaced like that," the man said, snapping his fingers to emphasize the final word.

Arkham smirked. "It's fine. Doctors are easy to replace in this city. I assume your new identity is ready?"

The man nodded and put the blueprints into his briefcase. "Say hello to Lincoln March."

Arkham laughed and shook his head. "That's terrible. But at least it's less conspicious than Thomas Wayne."