Chapter 18

Chapter 18: The Parting of the Ways

Dick didn't speak to either Bruce or Babs during Evelyn's funeral. Everyone was there. Bruce, Babs, Dick, Jim Gordon, Evelyn's co-worker Edward Nashton... Everyone except Harvey, who Duela thought deserved to be there more than any of them. Any of them except maybe Babs, who had been holding her hand the whole time.

Eventually, only Duela, Bruce, Dick and Alfred remained. Bruce, Dick and Alfred waited by the car as Duela stood and looked at the coffin in the open grave.

"Mom... I met my father a few days ago. I met him and I wanted... I wanted to kill him. More than I've ever wanted to kill anyone in my life. But I didn't. I hope you're proud of me. Bruce has been very good to me and Dick's been like the older brother I never had. But anyway... I've spent more and more time with Babs lately and I..."

She blushed a little.

"I've never been so happy. Yesterday, she even asked me if I wanted to continue her legacy as Batgirl. She told me she could never imagine someone more fitting for the mantle. I refused, of course. She was Batgirl, she was the one who fought hard to earn that title. But I told her I was flattered and I...We k... Just once, to show her how grateful I am, I kissed her."

-

Dick stood a considerable distance away from Bruce. Roy walked up to him with another young man with red hair, both wearing suits.

"How are you, Dick?" Roy asked him and Dick simply shrugged in response. The other man extended his hand.

"Hi, I'm Wally West. We didn't get properly introduced earlier when I was running to the rescue."

Dick shook his hand but maintained eye contact with Roy.

"Why are you here? No, seriously."

Roy sighed. "I heard about what happened to Babs and how you and Batman had a falling out. I figured there was nothing left for you here in Gotham."

Dick looked away and took off his sunglasses and Roy continued.

"Wally and I found a few others like us. Two guys called Garth and Jackson who are...not from around here. We figured, since most of us are outcasts, aside from Wallace here, we should stick together."

After a moment of silence, Dick finally spoke. "I'm in. But as Dick Grayson, not as Robin."

He looked over at Jason, who was still talking to Bruce. "Batman must always have a Robin. I outgrew that red and green outfit, anyway. Time I became my own man."

-

Night fell and at the Iceberg Lounge, a short and fat man laughed.

"So the clown's gone for now. Y'ask me, it couldn't 'ave happened at a be'er time."

The Cockney laughed. His head was balding, remains of black hair still growing from the sides and back. He had a long nose, like the beak of a bird.
His appearance and his ability to sleekly slip past any law enforcement had earned him the nickname 'The Penguin' from the men in his organization. While he'd hated it at first, seeing as it started as a way to mock his appearance and the way he walked following a gunshot wound to the leg, the name had grown on him until now, he made sure The Penguin was a name that sparked fear and respect in the underworld.

"Oz! Get yer arse in here."

A young man in a long trenchcoat walked in.

"What is it, Mr Cobblepot?"

Cobblepot grinned. "The clown's rampage and Dent's breakdown got rid of Maroni for us and little Alberto Falcone went behind 'is brother's back and gave us control of all the remaining Falcone family assets, in return for a small amount of money. The city's ripe for the taking!"

Oz smiled. "I told ya Falcone could be useful to us. Now all we need to worry about is that bloody Bat character."

Cobblepot growled. "Let him try! The Batman will find out that you do NOT want to mess with Oswald Chesterfield Cobblepot. Now please, go and take care of the Bat business."

Oz nodded and walked out, sighing. "I love ya too, dad."

-

"Are you sure?" Bruce asked, this time sounding genuinely concerned. Dick nodded and sighed.

"You know, I've actually been thinking about this day for the last few weeks. After hearing about Ollie and Roy's falling out, I figured it would only be a matter of time until we'd part ways as well. But I don't want the legacy of Robin to die. I hear Jason did well standing in for me when you caught Harvey. I think you should let him take my place."

Jason walked to them, glancing up at Dick.

"Are you sure?"

Dick nodded. "Batman needs a Robin. Watch his back for me, Todd."

After saying this, Dick picked up his bags and got out, getting into a car and driving away.

"So... Where to?" Dick asked as Roy drove towards the edge of Gotham.

"I hear there's some idiot called Mr Twister threatening to destroy Blüdhaven with a wooden stick. Also something about a guy called Desmond taking over every criminal syndicate in Blüd. Might be worth checking out, especially since Blüdhaven's even more rotten than Star City and Gotham put together."

Wally smirked. "Might be fun. I'll tell the boys to meet us there. We'll...share the rent?"

Dick nodded. "Seems only fair."

-

Duela looked around in Barbara's new clock tower apartment.

"How can you afford this place?"

"Bruce paid. Said it was the least he could do," Barbara said, shrugging as she approached a head bust. When she folded the head backwards, a retinal scanner appeared and then all the windows were covered with metal plates and holographic screens appeared where the windows had been. A control console and keyboard rose from the floor.

"Bruce also had this installed when I told him I still wanted to continue our work. I'm good with computers, so he gave me the best one in the city."

Duela gasped in amazement as Barbara typed in the password and then the username: Oracle.