Chapter 56

Josh

"Relax," Amelia said, glancing at him across the space between them. They sat in rich leather chairs, surrounded by unnecessary finery. The town's only lawyer was a noxious blowhard, desperately striving for the status of his brethren in the cities. Never mind that all he ever handled were real estate deals and marriage licenses. From the framed certificates on his wall and the whiskey cart by the fire, one got the impression he dealt only with the wealthiest tycoons.

Josh glanced at the empty chair on the far side of the desk. "This feels like a set-up," he told his wife, his leg bouncing. "Something isn't right."

"Everything is fine," she soothed, reaching out and taking hold of his hand. "Your men are stationed right outside, remember? Nobody with any ill intent is getting in here. It's just a business meeting."

"You should have stayed at home," he grumbled. "It's not safe."

"What kind of partner would I be if I let you come here alone?" she chastised, squeezing his fingers. "I know you're waiting for the other shoe to drop, and maybe it will, but nothing bad is going to happen to us. Not today. Today is a good day, love."

"It'll be a good day tonight," he argued. "When we're home and I have you in bed. Right now it's just... something's off, Ames."

"It is," she agreed with a curl of her lips. "That father of yours is finally acting right, and Brent has pulled his head out of his ass. The whole world is upside down. But it's not bad upside down, Josh. It's good."

"I just--"

Before he could elaborate on his feelings of unease, the door opened. The lawyer stepped in, gesturing with his hand at the empty chairs before the desk. Brent and their father entered, both looking worn and thin. Only four days had passed since his father's surprise visit, and they were all still suffering the effects of the fire. He watched as Brent shuffled painfully toward the chair and sank into it, refusing to meet Josh's eye. Their father sat in the middle chair, and Josh was glad Amelia was on the edge. It hadn't been a conscious decision to offer her that seat, but he was grateful to be between her and the other men.

"Right," the lawyer said, sinking into the wing-backed chair behind the desk. "Let's get started, shall we? Owen, I drew up all the papers while I was holed up by the storm. All we need is signatures. We'll sign over the deed first, shall we? The will is a bit more complex and I'd like to talk you through the changes."

Maybe Josh had given the lawyer too hard a time. The man's brusque, businesslike manner was a strange balm to his frayed nerves. He stared as a piece of paper was pushed across the desk, the top printed in type-written script but the rest covered in the lawyer's scrawling handwriting. He edged closer on his chair, Amelia leaning forward as well, and they both read over the deed. It was simple. Almost too simple, considering the implications. All of his father's land. All the buildings, the fences, the wells, the cattle, the horses, the history, even the name. Everything, signed from his father's name into his.

"Do you have any questions?" the lawyer asked, a bite of sarcasm to his voice. He was probably annoyed it was taking them so long to read it over, simple land deed that it was.

"Give them a minute, Eric," he heard his father say, and for the first time in decades he felt gratitude towards the old man. Genuine thankfulness. Turning away from the paper, he glanced at Amelia. Her pretty face was pale, freckles standing out across her nose as she stared at him.

Is it real? she seemed to ask.

I hope so, he answered with a shrug and a grimace.