chapter one

𝖑𝖊𝖙𝖍𝖆𝖑
𝑐ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 / 𝑜𝑛𝑒

𝖑𝖊𝖙𝖍𝖆𝖑𝑐ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 / 𝑜𝑛𝑒

❛ reminisce ❜

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐒𝐔𝐍 𝐒𝐇𝐈𝐍𝐄𝐃 𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐎𝐔𝐆𝐇 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐆𝐈𝐋𝐁𝐄𝐑𝐓 𝐑𝐄𝐒𝐈𝐃𝐄𝐍𝐂𝐄 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐒𝐈𝐋𝐄𝐍𝐓 𝐀𝐒 𝐀 𝐏𝐈𝐍 𝐃𝐑𝐎𝐏. Today was the first day of Aurelia's junior year of high school and to say that she was no where near ready to go back, was a very big understatement.

It had only been four months ago when tragedy had striked the Gilbert family and they ended up losing three people they loved most. Aurelia never stopped thinking about the night it happened. The overcoming guilt she felt for not being there for her twin sister, the pain that consumed her when the vehicle plummeted right into the lake underneath Wickery Bridge.

Weeks after the funeral, she was forced back into her regular routine as if nothing happened before hand. She spent weeks in Sunnyside, Virginia for her cheerleading preparation and had traveled to many libraries throughout the state, for her high school Battle Of The Timberwolves Book Team.

It was safe to say, that she rarely spent time with her brother or aunt that summer, which did tear the relationship between them a lot more. But now she was back in her hometown, where she honestly wanted to get away from but had no choice. And hopefully for Aurelia, this year she would have a fresh start she'd always wanted since the death of her loved ones.

However, the girl always had problems one way or another, and the main one was her younger brother, Jeremy Gilbert. Of course Aurelia wasn't the only one to lose a part of her family, but she didn't seem to recognize that and had unpurposefully ignored Jeremy that summer thinking only about herself.

And to many people that would be a selfish thing to do, but Aurelia didn't know how to comfort her brother when she was still in need of it, and when she did try, it was just a big mess and resulted in loud arguments and door slams.

Somehow, those arguments led to drugs and Vicki Donovan. When Aurelia had first heard of it, she was absolutely furious and upset. She had never thought that her only baby brother would turn to something and someone so vile, she just couldn't handle it.

It also might have been the fact that her distant on and off boyfriend had drunkenly and mistakenly slept with Vicki that made her hate grow towards the drug addict female even more,.but what was even worse was that she had Jeremy wrapped around her finger and began to play with both boys.

The brunette wanted to do something about it, but Aurelia wasn't a god and couldn't just snap her fingers to make everything go her way, and for now she would just have to deal with it.

Aurelia was different however, instead of turning to illegal substances, she detached herself from everything and everyone. Some nights she would find herself crying in the tub of her bathroom just thinking about that night over and over again.

Or sometimes she would sleep in her sister's bed to just regain some familiarity of her presence and would even rummage through her clothes and wear them. It may have seemed crazy but that was just her way of grieving. She didn't even want to think about her parents. Her aunt Jenna had  even caught the girl in the bedroom of the deceased parents talking to a framed picture of them more than she could even count.

Maybe that was why Bonnie had completely stopped checking in on her every day, or why Caroline began to throw cheeky and snide glances whenever they passed each other outside of their houses. Why Matt Donovan had forcefully let himself in her house every single day and began to be her source of comfort when her supposed boyfriend was messing around with his best friend's sister and girlfriend's arch nemesis.

It had gotten to a point where the blue eyed boy had slowly but surely developed forbidden feelings for Aurelia. He shouldn't have been falling for his deceased girlfriend's twin sister but it happened, not that Aurelia ever knew about it.

Aurelia yawned as she laid on her side, listening to her alarm blaring off on her pale grayish rusted night stand. Her dainty left arm removed itself from her sheets as she lifted the clock to reach underneath and click it back into place.

Aurelia was not the one to wake up on early mornings, that was all on her twin sister. Elena weirdly enough loved getting up early. Sometimes she would end up jumping and making a mess on Aurelia's bed to wake her up as well.

She had started this when they were both four and had been doing it ever since. Now, Aurelia regretted all the times she yelled at her sister for her stupidness and actually wanted to wake up to her sister shouting and jumping on her bed.

A knock on her door quickly threw her out of her reminiscing. And for some reason, she hoped that it would be her parents on the other side of the door, or even Elena. But unfortunately, the door opened to reveal a short red headed adult.

Aurelia's smile diminished which the aunt noticed but made no move to speak about it. "Hey, Matt called. He said he's on his way to get you." Aurelia's aunt, Jenna Sommers, shifted uncomfortably at the door not looking her niece directly into the eyes. The brunette felt so bad about not spending enough time with her remaining family, she would definitely have to change that sooner or later.

Aurelia nodded and tried a fake grin but it came out as a grimace. Jenna awkwardly nodded back and closed the door causing the teen to let out a huff she didn't even know she needed to let out. There was so much tension between her family, and it felt so wrong.

The Gilbert's weren't supposed to end up like this.

───

𝐀𝐔𝐓𝐇𝐎𝐑𝐒 𝐒𝐄𝐂𝐓𝐈𝐎𝐍Ok so this is the first chapter

𝐀𝐔𝐓𝐇𝐎𝐑𝐒 𝐒𝐄𝐂𝐓𝐈𝐎𝐍
Ok so this is the first chapter. A little boring, I know but I just wanted to get some familiarity in there with Aurelia. Plus I've written over 1000 words and I'm kind of tired. Any ways, what are your thoughts? I'm dying to know!!!!!

Also to see the next chapter update, head on over to my profile bio, and scroll down!!