CHAPTER 7

When Connie walks into the kitchen the next day, she sees her youngest daughter opening chip bags with a wide smile on her face.

"Well someone is certainly happy today." She exclaims taking the chip bags out of Y/N's hands.

"Well it's a beautiful day today mom. Who wouldn't be happy?" Y/N answers, her smile still planted on her face.

"Well, why don't you take your happy self to the back and grab another bag of chips from the storage room?" Her mother asks pointing behind her to said room.

Y/N walks over to the storage, not knowing someone walked in about to uncover the truth of her sister's lie.

Y/N holds the bag of chips in her arms, freezing when she sees Caitlyn standing there with her back to her. She shoved the bag up to conceal her face as Caitlyn turns around at the sound of Y/N's footsteps.

"Hey, you must be hands five and six. I didn't even know Connie had two daughters. I'm Caitlyn by the way. Where is your sister?"

Y/N just waves, not knowing what to do.

"Do you need some help?" Caitlyn asks seeing her struggling to hold the bag of chips.

Not knowing how to respond, Y/N breaks into a run. Not looking where she is going, Y/N stepped into a mop bucket. She loses her footing, sending her and the chips to the floor.

Caitlyn rushes over to help her out, stopping when she sees who it was.

"Y/N?"

Y/N looks up at her friend sadly from the floor.

"Are you okay?" Caitlyn asks Y/N shocked, rushing over to help her from the ground but stops at upon seeing who walked in the kitchen.

Mitchie walks through the door, stopping at the sight before her.

"Y/N!"

Mitchie walks over to her younger sister and helps her up off the floor.

"Mitchie? What are you doing in here?" Caitlyn asks confused before it clicks. "Oh my god! You're the cook's daughter and Y/N is too. She's your guys' mom!"

Mitchie just looks at her sister, who was picking soggy chips out of her hair.

"Oh, this is rich. But apparently you two aren't." Caitlyn continues.

Mitchie finally looks over at Caitlyn. "So what are you waiting for huh? Run, go tell everybody. But please, it was my fault, don't ruin your friendship with my sister over this. It was my lie, not Y/N's. She went along with this because she knew how much it meant to me to keep it a secret."

Caitlyn sighs. "Maybe I should tell everyone."

"Fine," Mitchie says, feeling sorry for ruining the friendship between Caitlyn and Y/N. "Whatever."

"How long did you guys think you could keep this a secret?" Caitlyn inquires.

Mitchie shakes her head sadly. "Longer than this."

"Why?"

"Why do care anyway?" Mitchie snaps fed up with all the questions.

"Oh I don't, but when I tell everyone, I want the whole backstory."

During the argument between Caitlyn and Mitchie, Y/N stands there sadly, knowing she may lose the only friend she made this summer. Sure, she hung out with Lola, Sander and Barron, but they were more like acquaintances. Caitlyn has been the only friend she made beside Shane, but to her Shane was a little more than a friend.

"I can't believe you pretended to be somebody to fit in. You put up this whole charade for nothing."

"What about you huh?" Mitchie asks offended by Caitlyn's comment. "You hide to. The whole 'I don't care about anything' attitude."

Caitlyn doesn't reply.

"Well if you don't care, why are you here?"

"I'm here to still be a friend to your sister. She may have had some involvement with this but at least she tried to avoid lying while you lied every time you turned around."

Y/N looks up, thankful she won't lose her friend today.

Connie then walks into the kitchen shocked at the state of the mess

She gasps when she sees Y/N standing there soaking wet with chips in her hair. "Sweetie, what happened to you?"

"Mitchie drowned her in her lies." Caitlyn mumbles under her breath.

"What?" Connie asks not hearing what Caitlyn said.

"Nothing." She says before walking out, smiling a reassuring smile to Y/N as she passes.

Mitchie sighs and runs out after her. "Caitlyn wait."

Y/N sighs standing next to her mother.

"Honey what happened?"

"Well one of my clumsy mishaps struck again." Y/N says telling half of the truth.

Sighing, Connie pushes Y/N to walk, making her head in the direction of the cabin to get out of her wet clothes.

..................................................

"It says here, that I'm Shane's type," Tess says holding a magazine up to her face as she walks into the mess hall, "it's only a matter of time."

Y/N rolls her eyes, knowing Shane will never go for her.

"Funny, kind, talented." Caitlyn reads over Tess' shoulder, "You? I don't get it. But I may know someone who is all of that."

Caitlyn looks pointedly at Y/N when she says that. Yes, Y/N told Caitlyn everything that has happened between her and Shane, even the day where she covered her face in flour to hide.

Tess ignores Caitlyn and walks away with Ella and Peggy behind her.

The last couple of days, their friendship was strained, but as time went on it strengthened. Y/N promised she would never lie to Caitlyn as long as Caitlyn doesn't tell anyone that Mitchie lied about who their mom really was.

Laughing Y/N shook her head as Caitlyn sat down next to her. "I don't even know if he likes me Caitlyn."

"Uh hello." Caitlyn says looking at her in disbelief. "He kissed your cheek and sang a song to you because he cared about your approval."

Y/N sighs looking at her friend. "You really think he likes me?"

Caitlyn raises her right hand in the air. "Scout's honor."

The two girls laugh at her antics.

Looking over at the taco bar, Y/N sees Mitchie talking to Tess, Peggy, and Ella. Y/N sighs and looks away, wondering when Mitchie will give up the charade.