4- I get some explanations... sort of

"Okay, so you and I didn't get off to a great start, and that's my fault"

He was talking slowly and gently, like he was trying to approach a wounded animal. He had taken me into a bedroom upstairs before finally putting me down, and was now standing in front of the closed door.

"Yeah, no kidding"

I pressed my back to the opposite wall, trying to keep as much distance between us as physically possible. Which truly wasn't much given that this was a pretty standard bedroom, but at least there was the bed between us so he couldn't just lunge forward quickly.

"Look, I'm very sorry, and this will all make sense later. But I needed to talk with you, and the middle of your college campus or in the car with my two... friends... weren't the right place. I needed to be alone with you"

"And kidnapping me was the only way to do that ?"

He looked uncomfortable. Good.

"I didn't- okay, I can see how from your point of you, I kinda... did. But please, just listen to me and this will all make sense"

I stayed silent. If I was going to be held hostage or whatever this was, I might as well know why. Maybe he would even overshare about his evil plan like a cartoon villain, and I could use that information to escape!

"Okay so you and I - how do I put this...", he hesitated. "We're soulmates. You were always meant to be with me, just like I was always meant to be with you. When I saw you, I instantly felt a strong pull towards you. We can't be apart again. Not for long, at least, especially in the beginning. Being separated would just be too painful, that's why I couldn't let you get away. I know it sounds crazy, but-"

"It IS crazy!" I interrupted him. I knew it probably wasn't very smart to cut off my kidnapper like that, but I couldn't help myself. THAT was his reason? "You're completely crazy. Do you seriously think I'd believe any of this delusional nonsense? What, I'm supposed to fall in love with you while you hold me against my will, develop Stockholm syndrome? There are better ways to find a girlfriend, you know! Now let me go, or ELSE!"

He seemed to think for a second.

"Okay."

I blinked incredulously. "Okay?"

"Yes. I wanted to explain first, but if you won't listen to anything I say, then it's no use. You're free to go. Just... be careful, okay?"

He stepped away from the door.

Something was off. There was no way it could be this easy. I looked at him suspiciously, but there was nothing cunning or sinister about his face. Just a vague look of regret, as he was clearly reluctant to let me go.

This was most probably some kind of trap, but I would be a fool not to at least try.

I started cautiously walking towards the door. When he still didn't make a move to stop me, I grabbed the handle, opened the door so fast it almost flew off its hinges, and made a mad dash down the stairs.

I was overpowered with anxiety and adrenaline as I made my way towards the exit, but there was something else, too. I felt cold. The same feeling of guilt and sadness were heavy in my chest, just like when I had flinched away from him when we first met. The feeling grew and grew. I felt like my heart was being ripped out of my chest. Tears started running down my face. Before I could reach the exit, I fell to my knees, sobbing uncontrollably, unable to continue. I couldn't think anymore, there was nothing else except this deep emotional pain that shook me to my core.

I was vaguely aware of steps coming down the stairs towards me, but I couldn't even make a move to get away.

"I'm so sorry, baby. This was the only way you'd believe me. I'm so, so sorry" His voice trembled like he was holding back tears.

He scooped me up in his arms, cradling me.

Just as suddenly as the overwhelming sadness had started, it stopped.

The cold was replaced by a comfortable warmth.

Somewhere far, far away, the rational part of my brain was trying to make a sense of this, or to fight against his embrace. But I was too exhausted for any kind of coherent thought. My previous crisis seemed to have consumed all of my energy. I felt weak, half asleep. Even worse, the warmth of his chest felt incredibly pleasant and soothing against my cheek. "Snap out of it!", I tried to tell myself, but my eyes started to close.

I was faintly aware of him taking me back upstairs as the steady beating of his heart lulled me to sleep.