Injury

Injury

  The next day I found myself back at the protest. Somewhat more prepared than the day before, with knee and elbow pads underneath my dark jeans and black long sleeve shirt. I also added large dark sunglasses in addition to the pride flag mask that my friend had made for me. Thinking that it couldn't hurt to be less identifiable if today turns out like yesterday had.

 "Do you think I should have worn a hat?" I ask my friend Madelyn.

 "If you think someone will recognize you for that brown mop on your head you call 'hair'. than your dumber than you look." Madelyn said as she held out her hand. Motioning that it's her turn to hold up the sign that we brought today.

 ACAB. in white lettering on a black piece of thin plywood.

 "My hair's not that bad!" I hand her the sign, grateful for her idea of using a plywood sign to give us a little more protection. 

 "You're right! I've seen worse birds nests." she shot back at me, peeking over the top of her sunglasses.

 Ya know, sometimes i wonder why all my friends seem to be sadists.

 "Rude! I'm just worried someone will recognize me. I wasn't exactly doing the most legal thing yesterday."

 "You worry too much." she shrugged me off. "And besides, the cops did it first. You were just defending yourself."

 "Somehow I don't think that argument will hold up in court." I say as I scan the crowd.

 Oh shit. He's here. I think. Then I silently begin to berate myself. Come on Fox! why would you think that your hot riot buddy wouldn't be here? He's obviously serious about this.

 "Why are you blushing?"

 Fuck. I'm never going to hear the end of this if she finds out.

 "No reason." I lie. Panic shooting through me. "it's just hot?"

 Madelyn gives me a look and adjusts her pink headband moving her thick curly hair out of her face. "Is that so?"

 She scans the crowd. Immediately spotting the Man in spec ops gear.

 "That's one hell of a man! Isn't he Fox?" She says slyly to me. 

 "Yeah." Shit, my voice cracked.

 "We should say 'hi'!" Madelyn proclaimed. Tucking the sign under her arm and pulling me by my sleeve, dragging me towards the man who had let me help yesterday.

 He was standing off to the side of the street looking towards a police barricade nearby. It was almost as if he was a divine sentinel looking to protect the protesters. The fact solidifying in my mind as we drew nearer, and took more notice of him. I realized that he was much taller than I remembered. His almost seven foot frame dwarfing my slight five and a half stature.

 "Maddie, stop!" I hissed at my friend. "What are you even going to say to him?!"

 "Hey, you!" The voice startled me. As I turn away from my friend I come face to chest with the spec ops guy from yesterday.

 "Uh, hi?" I look up to his voice and notice the camera mounted onto the helmet obscuring his face.

 He's a genus. he can have records of everything that happens at these protests. I think in awe.

 "Your the guy from yesterday. With the construction cone?" He covered one hand with the other and then mimed throwing something. "I'm glad to have someone else helping out yesterday. Even if your throwing sucks."

 The smug tone in his voice causing my face to heat up.

 "I was just glad I could help." God! Why am I so awkward around hot guys! he's probably straight! Stop trying to flirt!

 "Well since you guys seem to know each other I'm going back to our group!" Madelyn said from my left. she patted my arm and said "Call me later, preferably not from a jail cell!" With that and a wink she was gone. leaving me standing next to the man I had thought a little too hard about last night.

 Traitor, I think, might as well talk to him...

 "Uh, so-" yelling cut though my feeble attempt to strike up conversation.

 "Stay close to me." The spec ops guy ordered. He pulled me along towards the police barricade.

 "Hey, you! Back up! You fucking cops!"

 What followed was a lot of yelling and cursing. 

 At one time the Tank of a man I was with started listing off the police officers' names. Seeing him have to bend down to look at their faces leads me to worry about having an inappropriate reaction in my pants.

 Not the time Fox! you can jerk-off to this later!

 As the sun begins to set the yelling gets louder. 

 I was not surprised to hear gun shots soon after the street light had turned on.

 I was, however very surprised when the spec ops guy grabbed at my arm and told me to run.

 We ran hard when I heard a sound like a plate shattering behind me. Searing pain erupted behind my left ear. Then everything around me faded out and I felt strong arms hold on to me. Then nothingness.

-Fox