Chapter 7: Embarrassment

The attention we caused. Elle in a hurry comes rushing over to me with a napkin, stepping in front of Jonah whom I have not even had the chance to tell her due to my weekend of sulking.

"My goodness! You sure know how to make an entrance. Do you even know how to pick up the fucking phone?! I have been literally calling you all weekend. What did I tell you about day dreaming on the job?! It's like a fucking mad house in here. I hate the first of the month; fucking department head meeting. Like hell the actual fucking boss would show...if we even have a real boss. I swear Joy if this is some fucking management 'work hard' scheme I am going to be pissed... What's wrong with your face?"

I literally can't even pay attention to her rant. My eyes are still glued to the man in front of me. My mouth is still slightly ajar. I watch Elle's eyes trace mine to Jonahs. I can't even imagine what she's thinking.

Elle's face is stunned. I can immediately tense her embarrassment. "I am so sorry for my friend sir. She is so clumsy". She then tries to put on her best effort to smile. She then bends down to help me up and whispers in my ear angrily: Girl if you don't get up! I then proceed to get up and follow her into our desk to start our day with my eyes locked on him. He looks equally as shocked. I didn't have time to process the fact that it was a department head meeting. All I kept thinking about was him.

I literally can't beleive he's actually here. I mean what does he do here? I never formally got his position in our department. I can't feel my face. My embarrassment is at an all time high and that's actually a lot for me. I have a very good embarrassment track record. My self loathing is yet again interrupted by my best friend Elle. "Did you know him? I have never seen such eye candy in our department. Do you think he's an IT guy? No one knows what the hell that guy looks like... Her rant continues and her interest in him immediately gives me that awful pit in my stomach and that extra push to actually speak. "Elle!" I say in a hushed whisper my eyes locked on him still. Shit, everytime I look up his eyes meet mine in an instant. My stomach is filled with a different kind of pit falling feeling that literally shoots through all my lady parts and more. We begin to walk back to our desk. "This... I know this guy. I...I never got to tell you about this weekend...but holy shit Elle I know him and I never thought I would see him again." Her loud shrieks and gasps immediately draw even more attention. "Can we talk about this after?!" I whisper back, fixing my clothes and putting on my best smile. I just need to get through this work day and then continue to hide from him for the rest of my professional career. Easy right? My eyes lock back to his and for the third time today I can't feel my legs. He puts on a pair of reading glasses and proceeds to one of the conference rooms.

As he enters, another man rushes out to the hallway sticking his head our so that we can hear him at our desk. "Can I please have the lead secretary to take our minutes? Ours is out sick". Elle stares at me from across her desk. She looks at me along with other workers nearby. I am not sure how long we sit there before she utters "Well that sure as hell ain't me". I begin to get up and raise my hand and gather my laptop as I move towards the conference room. THE conference room that Jonah is clearly in. Could this day be any worse?

I walk into the room and stare at approximately 10 of the best well dressed people in my life. The combined net worth in this room alone probably could buy out Manhattan. All men and women department heads dressed and ready to do their jobs without error and feel an ache of jealousy. I walk towards an empty seat at the conference room using my laptop to try to hide my coffee stained blouse. I look up at the room and out of all the eyes on me there's one set of chocolate brown that is lasering my guts right up in front. After a brief cough Jonah adjusts his glasses and begins to speak quite professionally. "Good Morning Everyone. Let's get through the formalities for minute purposes and begin our annual review. I barely hear the word 'minute' but use that as my cue to open up a template on my laptop. This was good, all I had to do was sit here and take notes. This was easy. I didn't even have to make eye contact with anyone. I sat and took down every name and role as they stated it around the table. I wondered why Jonah sat in front and felt excited that now I could finally figure out his position without asking him outright. His eyes meet mine and I cross my legs. Of course he would go last. I peer over the top of my laptop ready to write down his title. A raspy voice speaks as I begin typing: "Jonah Mitchel, Principle Partner and CEO." My heart literally falls to my ass. HE IS THE FUCKING BOSS??!