1.03

The group had been flying for a few hours, the rough winds and polar air ripping the breath from Zera's lungs and pulling her hair angrily. It was as if the world knew she had done wrong in her life and was punishing her for following her brother without question. None of the others seem to be struggling, she thought to herself as the icy winds froze her to her core, making her shivering hands turn into numb fingers and frozen thumbs.

"This is pathetic," she heard a voice scoff to her left, before a pair of mittens were flung roughly at her face. Normally, she'd be able to catch them without an issue, but she couldn't even raise her arm in defense with this biting cold.

"Th-thanks," she forced meekly through chattering teeth, fumbling the overly large, still warm, mittens onto her hands before digging in her pack for her traveling blanket to wrap over her shoulders.

"Not so tough now that Fire Boy isn't here to save you, huh?" That same voice snarled, making Zera turn to settle a dark look on Sokka.

"I d-don't need anyone to s-save m-me," she forced out through her shivering, knowing that any fierceness in her tone was overshadowed by the intensity of her teeth clicking together. Truly pathetic, she conceded.

"Sokka, stop. She saved Aang's life, give her a chance to explain herself, at least." Katara interrupted her brother's next barb.

"She's Fire Nation! She could be a spy," Sokka shouted over the wind, throwing his hands up in exasperation. "Did neither of you think about that being her explanation?"

"I owe nothing to the Fire Nation. I couldn't sit by and justify taking the life of a child, who also happens to be our only chance at stopping the war," Zera explained to her three traveling companions. Sokka made a noise of disbelief in his throat, but the others processed Zera's words in silence.

Zera knew they didn't trust her; they had absolutely no reason to. The only thing she could do to earn their trust was prove her value for the team. The quickest way to do that would be to give them everything she knew about her brother, but somehow that felt like more of a traitorous thing to do than becoming an actual traitor.

It was hours before anyone spoke again, the sanguine glow of the sun casting long shadows over the group. The ragtag group had hunkered down for the cold night ahead of them on Appa until they could find somewhere to set up their camp.

"How did you do that with the water? It was the most amazing thing I've ever seen," it was Katara who broke the silence, staring up at Aang in amazement.

"I don't know. I just sort of did it," Aang replied from his perch on the horn of Appa's saddle. He was staring out over the seascape, a wistful look in his eyes, as if he were searching for the answers in the waning sunlight.

"Why didn't you tell us you were the Avatar?" Katara asked, in a softer voice this time.

"Because... I never wanted to be," Aang confessed, looking down at the group sadly. Zera understood the feeling of carrying a burden forced upon you by someone else all too well.

"But, Aang, the world's been waiting for the Avatar to return and finally put an end to this war." Katara pressed, her eyebrows furrowed in confusion at his response. She didn't understand, she couldn't. She had never been in the position Aang found himself in, forced to sacrifice his childhood in favor of being who the world told him to be.