Epilogue

Hanamiya Makoto's thoughts..

Opening your eyes in the morning and then instantly seeing the person you love beside you in bed, that's the moment you're going to find yourself most appreciative of life.

I love it when every morning I wake up, Nadeshiko's face is the first thing that I'll see. It's just wonderful.

No. It's perfect.

The sun hasn't fully risen yet but the room was bathed in that lightened color that made it almost seem to be anxiously awaiting the sun's rays. It was a morning filled with utmost serenity. It was the morning after our wedding day.

To be specific, it was our honeymoon.

I felt so many things as I laid in between mussed sheets and warm skin---things that were filling up my heart with content and happiness. And it was all because of my wife beside me, laying sound asleep.

A gentle smile crept into my face as I stared at her sleeping face.

"I love you," I whispered even though I knew she couldn't hear it. But it didn't really matter, whether she could hear me or not, I would never hesitate to tell her how much I love her. On and on. I would never get tired.

Funny, yeah.

I was like that before, a jerk who wavers when it comes to love and any other emotional matters. But that was before I realized that losing someone you love, someone you love so much, because of your own stupid acts is painful. So very painful.

All those times that she was not with me, all those times that she was ignoring me, every fucking time she wouldn't even talk or look at me -- it was emotional torture, psychological even. Regret and misery would visit me every night like a phantom haunting me in the dark and even in my dreams.

Series of what if's and I should have's consumed me every fucking hour of my life. What if I was strong enough to show her what I truly felt? What if I came running after her that day she turned her back on me? What if I was not stupid enough to actually let her go? I should have told her how much she meant to me back then.

That my world just can't be right without her in my life.

Thinking about it again, a lump suddenly formed deep in my throat. I protectively wrapped my arm around her waist and held her close to my bare chest. I didn't know why but whenever I think about the possibility of losing her again, my chest would tighten... As if literally crushing my heart from within.

With all the unpleasant thoughts lingering inside my head, I didn't realize that my grip on her was getting tighter. And she stirred.

"M-Makoto? What's wrong?" she mumbled in a lazy tone and then wrapped her arm around my waist too. She didn't open her eyes and just nuzzled her head closer.

She was never a morning person. In fact, she was lazy. I remembered her getting into a lot of trouble with our teacher because of her tardiness back in our first year of high school when we were still in the same class. All the pouts, the sheepish smiles, and the insincere apologies she would give to our teacher back then were just too adorable. I would always try my hardest to contain my smiles then by holding a book up to my face, pretending to not pay attention. But to be honest, every tiny piece of my attention was focused on her. Only her.

I chuckled softly at the memory then sighed. "Nothing. I had a bad dream."

"Then why are you laughing? Idiot."

"Don't mind me, babe. Just continue your sleep," I cooed, grinning at the way she mocked me. Idiot had been my favorite word, but now it had become my middle name too because of her.