6. mean mr mustard - the beatles

December 1985

You smiled, and not just because of the potion. John looked incredibly handsome in his suit, his hair gelled like Marlon Brando.

"You look so beautiful," he said to you as you walk towards him outside of the Hufflepuff dorm. He gave you a quick peck on the cheek, and held out a pin.

"A pin?" you asked, confused. It was a delicate and beautiful pin of one of your favorite magical creatures, a Niffler, but you didn't understand why he was giving it to you.

"Oh, I'm a square. Sorry, I forgot you were muggle born. It's traditional for wizards to give their date a pin depicting something of significance to the witch. Do you like it?" he asked, taking it back to pin it to the jumpsuit. Your breath hitched as his fingers brushed the bare skin of your collarbone.

"It's really great. Thank you. I didn't know you knew I liked nifflers. You know, in muggle culture, the boy gives the girl a flower, and she wears it like a bracelet on her wrist, and she gives the boy," you said, reaching behind to pluck a flower from the plant resting on the windowsill. "a flower to wear on his lapel."

You smiled while you fasten it to his coat. He looked down at you with a grin of his own. Maintaining eye contact, both of you blush and smile like doofs. Your friends look at the pair of you with grins of their own.

John cleared his throat. "Shall we go, then?"

"Absolutely." You hooked your arm through his, and made your way to the Great Hall.

As you walked throughout the school, you and John talked about classes and your interests. While you talk, though, there was a lingering thought in the back of your mind, that being, 'Snape already knows all of this, and I already know all about him,' but you ignored this thought, and listened to John.

"Bowie's alright. I quite like Rush, and Metallica," he said.

You gasped in mock horror. "Bowie's alright? How dare you! He's incredible!" you exclaimed.

John laughed again. "Space Oddity freaked me out! Most magic music is better than muggle music, any how, don't you agree?" he asked, directing you two to the open doors of the Hall.

You began to reply, but your voice trailed off as you look at the decorations and the new appearance of the room. There were floating candles everywhere, delicate curtains strewn across the walls, and a glittering, yet somehow not tacky, disco ball hung from the center of the ceiling.

"Wow. Oh man, look at the Angel's Trumpet!" you squealed, beginning to drag John to the flower arrangements, your inner Hufflepuff surfacing.

"I'm going to go meet my friends really quick, but let's meet by the punch in twenty minutes, okay?" he said, not waiting for a response. You pout, but go over to look at the flowers, the elixir not quite dampening your disappointment.

You listened to the soft toots of the flowers, smelling the various plants with a soft smile. You felt a gentle hand on your shoulder, and you spun around.

"Professor! You look Slyther-impeccable!" you quietly say with a grin. You joked, but he really did look great. His usually limp black hair was tied into a ponytail at his neck. He wore dress robes, but the hint of a black dress shirt peeked from his woolen cloak. He snorted a laugh in response.

You both looked at the flowers, discussing the various properties and their use in potions.

After a few minutes of silently observing and smelling the flowers, Snape spoke up. "You look Ravencl-awesome, by the way. I see you wore green in support of the best house at Hogwarts," Snape said with a slight grin. You responded with a wide smile of your own.