Chapter 6

When Roman got home, the two shared nearly an hour of couch snuggles before changing into clean clothes. Now that their soulring gemstones were permanently pink, Roman was much happier with his wardrobe opportunities. For that night, Roman decided on a t-shirt from a show he'd been a part of a few years ago, his favorite red jacket, and black skinny jeans. Patton on the other hand wore a white collared shirt underneath a pastel blue sweater with a pair of denim jeans.

"Hey, Ro?" Patton asked, looking out the car window.

"Yeah? What's up, cariño?" Roman purred, bringing a light blush across Patton's face.

"I hate to bug you, but I have an appointment with Dr. Picani tomorrow morning."

"Oh, right! What time?"

"10:00."

"Alright. I'll wake you up at eight to give you time to get ready." Roman nodded. "And you could never bug me, mi vida."

"Thanks, sweetums." Patton smiled softly. He was excited to watch his favorite movie sitting next to his favorite person. He had been gazing out the window for a while, but hadn't paid attention enough to realize that Roman had taken a few turns where he shouldn't have.

"Alright. We're here." Roman said, parking the car and stepping out. Patton looked out the windshield, expecting to see a few rows of cars and a white screen. Instead, he saw nothing but trees.

"Ro? Where are we?" Patton asked. He was met with no response. He leaned over the center console and looked around. Roman had completely vanished from sight. "Roman?"

Patton unbuckled his seatbelt and hastily got out of the car. His heart was racing. Why had Roman taken them here? Where was here? They appeared to be in some sort of forest. It was getting dark, which only added to Patton's fear. If it got dark, Roman might not be able to find his way back to the car from wherever he'd disappeared to.

"Roman?" Patton shouted, walking towards the back of the car. "Roman, where did you go?" Again, he was met with complete silence. He was entering full-fledged panic. This wasn't like Roman. Patton looked all around the car, finding no sign of his boyfriend anywhere. At this point his mind was running wild.

"Where is he? Why did he leave me? He's not answering me. Why isn't he answering me? Should I call someone to find him? No. I'm overreacting. Or am I? He's not in the car and he's not by the car. Where else could he go?"

Patton stopped dead in his tracks when he noticed a light somewhere deep in the trees. There was what looked like a clearing in little ways into the forest. Patton gathered up what little courage he had and slowly approached the clearing. As he got closer, he saw that the light he'd seen was from a ring of fairy lights strung up in the trees. Underneath the ring of lights was a blue and white checkered blanket surrounded by a semicircle of candles. Atop the blanket sat a collection of red chrysanthemums. In the very center of all of this stood Roman.

"Roman?" Patton struggled to take in the extravagance of the scene in front of him. Before he could think of what to say or do, Roman stepped forward and took Patton's hand in his own.