Chapter 7

"Patton, long before I met you, I knew that I wanted to protect you. Every day for the first twenty-six years of my life, I wanted to be able to give you the biggest hug of your life. When we finally did meet, I was finally able to deliver that promise I'd made to myself. The only thing I'd ever wanted was to make you happy. I hadn't expected you to turn the tables on me.

"I never really liked myself before I met you. You make me feel a way I've never felt before. I hadn't been able to figure out what that feeling was for the longest time, but now I know that it's love. True love. Your smile is the most beautiful sight in the universe, your eyes captivate me every time I look at you, and your laugh... it's my favorite thing to hear. Every day I get to see you and hear your voice, I fall in love all over again.

"Ever since I was little, I was told that a soulmate was a person with whom you have an immediate connection. You aren't just my soulmate, Patton. You're my true love; my entire life. I could never imagine life without you. You are my past, my present, and I hope..." Roman knelt down in front of a teary eyed Patton, pulling out a small box from his pocket.. "... you would be willing to be in my future. Patton Jeremiah Hart, will you marry me?"

Patton's heart was racing, but for a very different reason now. He had been terrified that something horrible was happening. Instead, the most wonderful thing in the world was happening. Patton knew that he was meant to be with Roman. They were bound by fate, but their love meant so much more than just what fate told them. It was deeper than that. They made each other better. And much, much happier.

"Roman..." Patton started, trying to keep his voice steady while streams of tears flowed down his cheeks. He didn't know what to say. The beauty of the scenery and of Roman's words rendered him speechless. Unable to speak, Patton covered his mouth with his free hand and nodded repeatedly.

Roman was relieved and thrilled. He took Patton's ring hand, replacing his soulring with a silver engagement ring. Roman stood in front of his fiancé, his own eyes shining with tears. Before he knew it, Patton tackled him in a tight hug. The two fell onto the ground of the clearing, but neither cared. All that mattered was that they had each other. They finally had the person they'd been waiting for their entire lives.

And neither of them were going anywhere.