Chapter one - The withering maiden

It's been two years now since Regina defeated the fearless seven and claimed the throne for good.
The castle was abandoned and stands empty since the new one is already built closer to the city of the Golden Goose.
Two years, and it's already been a plague. People are starving and dangers are lurking in the allies as soon as the sun falls down.
That's the time when the mountain trolls wake up.
If you are lucky, they won't catch you when you go out for your midnight walk, or even when you take a step outside your door.
The people are living in fear. They don't know where their daughters had been taken to, but one thing is for sure, the queen has something to do with it and the kingdom is well aware.

Merlin

"Come on Merlin, it's getting dark!" Arthur shouted nervously from behind my back.
"I'm almost finished, keep watching" I put the last couple of red roses on the root of the tree.
I've came here regularly to this empty palace where I saw the love of my life, Snow White for the very last time.
The crumbling walls doesn't bring her beauty justice at all, that would be the reason why I'm always bringing more and more flowers.
slowly and carefully as I could, I put my tiny hand on one of the branches, looking up on her face.
The sad expression will always be permanently printed on the withering tree.
These two past years I've been looking at her, hoping to see her move or even look back at me but it's just like Regina said.
She's gone forever no matter what I do, like a reminder that I failed her severely.

I collected my bag and motioned to Arthur to follow me back to the base.

"It's hopeless Arthur. There's no real cure for curses like these, I might as well live with mine" I frowned at the silhouette of the tree-like maiden.
He didn't say anything back, and that's understandable. We all lost our hopes that day.

"Farewell my dearest Snow White.."

[y/n]

There's a lot to say about my father.
Whomever makes a deal with that man are bound to live with their consequences, but no one ever thought it'd be possible to owe that depth from the day you were born.
Unlike most parents, food on the table and a roof over your head might as well be another deal for him.

"Daughter!" I hear him mocker me from upstairs, probably ready to give me some extra chores before it's time to close the shop.
"Coming father!"
I hung my apron on a chair and swiftly made my way up to his office. It didn't take long enough since I've learned that if you were to mess up one little itty bity thing, there was no room for kindness.
There he was, sealing his awful deals at his desk with papers flying from both it's sides.
The room is dusty and surrounded by valuable collections of gold, silver and all kinds of things people have been trading with.
"Sweet daughter, when will you ever learn to close the door? you worthless imbicile!"
With a wave of his hand, the door shut itself hard enough to knock things over everywhere.

"Sorry father, it was careless of me." I simply looked at him careful to not show any expression. He would not show any mercy for anyone who wouldn't play along in his twisted games.
"Oh, look at you" he walks up to me with his arms out like he was about to embrace me but instead, he turned around again, pacing back and forth.
"A girl as beautiful as my daughter shouldn't work at a simple shop all day til she gets rotten and old. So I came up with an idea that could suit us so, so very well"

I dont like where this is leading, weather its stealing or making more deals. I'm so tired of it but yet, it's either me or them.
"And what is your plan, father?"
He meet my eyes again with mischief written all over his face.
"What if there's a way for you to be the next regent, with me as your chancellor, of course."
I raise my eyebrow, unaware of what he actually means by that. In what universe would he allow me to be more than a tool?
"But, Regina is the regent?"
"Poor, stupid girl. You didn't get your ability to think from your father, that's for sure."
He cleared his throat.
"Let me take care of the thinking and you'd do as I say, understood?"

I know there's no way to say no to this man, as long as you don't know his name.
"Yes.. father"

And I'm not one of them.