Chapter four - Mr. Melchoir

.

Merlin

He glance at me from behind his desk while dusting off what looks like a golden teapot.
I didn't pay much attention to him though since the room seemed to be overwhelmed with things I never could've imagine in my lifetime.
I think I've never seen so much stuff gathered in one place, some of them almost seems antique.
Not to be that person but so does he with his old fashioned clothes, aged face and greasy hair.. he looks far too old to be Hope's dad. I would guess her grandfather.

"I know what you're looking for" his sudden words thrown me back from my thoughts, leaving me almost out of words.
"What, you do?" I stuttered in discomfort.
How did he even know? I just met him so he can't possibly know about the curse!
"I'm a man of knowing. We old people tend to be very aware of what's happening around us.
The flower you seek is pretty.. unique I assume"
I meet his eyes and I don't think he ever blinked once.. or maybe we just do it at the same time?
I don't know what it is but there's something very.. off about him.
I'll try to keep it simple, just in case..
"Dragon's blood" I confirmed with a lowered tone.
"Yes, that one. I'm not interested of how you know about it so don't worry about me snooping, young man"
I sighed in relief.
"Actually when you mention it, I think I can get what you need"
I can't believe my ears, does that mean he knows who has it? Wait, it seems a bit too easy to just handing it over to someone. No, there must be something else.
"I assume you want something in return for your favors and I have gold, plenty of it"
He let out a deep chuckle and swept his hand in front of him.
"Son, look around you. This house is falling to bits and not just the cause of fleas and maggots. Yet, this room is filled by treasures from all around the world and from all ages in history. Do you think gold interests a.. nostalgic man like me?"
He is making a very good point there and I can't understand what else he'd suggest.
I don't have anything valuable left since I got turned.
Only the stacks of gold my parents left out after they banished me when I got cursed.
"If I now where to give you the precious flower.. I'd want something just as valuable to add to my collection. Nothing else but the sword in the stone could warm up a poor man's heart."

I backed away as fast as I heard it.
"No! That wouldn't be fair. Excalibur is not mine to take"
How can he ask me to trade away the only thing that binds Arthur to Camelot?
It doesn't matter anyway since I've tried to pull it up before at one time and it didn't work.
"Then I'm afraid I can't help you... I also came to notice the smell you have dragged in. I'm well known with curses and I can sense it all around you, boy.
It's also well known that Dragon's blood is the quickest way to get rid of the most complex curses.. so let me ask you.. is the sword really more worth than your own life?"
This task is impossible to take.. but yet, the flower might be our only chance to return home to our lands. I can become a prince again.. we all can. Then, we can go home.
"I'll consider it" I'm not so sure about this whole thing. Therefore, I need to speak to Arthur. He's the only one who can pull it up..
It's just for him to decide if it's worth it, or not.

At F7 headquarters

"Absolutely not! Have you gone insane, Merlin?"
Arthur yelled.
"We might not get another shot, Arthur. We've been looking for a solution and Mr. Melchior seems like the only option we have"
I tried to convince him but he only seemed to be more pissed at me for even mentioning Excalibur.
"He keeps his DAUGHTER locked up! What kind of option is that? Oh, I know. A really bad one!"
I tried to calm him down before he'd wake up the whole house but it was too late for that.
"Keep it down! Why are you even fighting at this hour. I thought we had an agreement.." Hans mumbled tierdly
"Well, Merlin here suggests it's a good idea to trade my legacy for a plant that might lift our curses, or kill us since that old man don't mind locking up women in his house"
Hans scratched his head in discomfort.
"Woaw, ehm.. I'm going back to sleep"
I stopped Hans from getting back in to the bedroom.
"It does sound odd out of context but I need to explain. I don't think he's lying about the flower and if he does, Arthur could just refuse to hand it over. Besides, don't you want to meet your brother again, Hans?"
He exchanged looks with both of us.
"It's been years since I last saw him and I don't believe I'd say this.. but I'm with Arthur on this. It's a huge risk to take"
I sighed out in frustration. This whole thing feels so meaningless. I've spent nights and days trying to figure out a method to break this curse and yet, it's all leading me back to the drawing board.
Besides, it would be a great opportunity to get closer to figure out how to break the spell that's holding Hope trapped inside that house.

"Fine, we won't do it, but.. I'm still going there. If I can't make the trade, then I could at least try to get Hope out of there"
Arthur gave me that look he always makes when he think I've lost my marbles.
"Merlin, let's be realistic. It's his daughter you're talking about. We don't know what happens between those walls right now but there might be a bad idea to interact with that man."
I took a deep breath, trying to calm myself down a bit before I dare to say anything. It wasn't fair to just leave, knowing I failed before I've even tried. It's like the history is repeating itself and there's nothing I could do about it and that's not even an option.
"I know Arthur.. but a promise is a promise. This is what we do, remember? When we walked the streets, people looked up on us. We gave them something to believe in. We gave them.. hope"
I looked him straight in the eyes, searching for that spark that always seemed to have just burned out.. but there's still nothing. Just emptiness. He looks away and turns his back from me.
"There is no fearless seven anymore. I'm sorry Merlin. You're on your own"
With those words, he left.. and he was right.
The fearless seven were long gone.. and so was prince Arthur, at last.

It's funny how I lost my hope a few days ago until I came across that flower that led me to someone I wanted to help..
If her name isn't a sign enough, when am I gonna look for it?
If not today, then never.. With or without them.

[y/n]

"There, now you know everything.. He's coming back tomorrow"
I look down on the wooden floor and I feel my heart race, causing my palms to sweat.
"Thank you [y/n], you've made me so proud. This is perfect! Now we'll just wait until tomorrow, then I'll leave it in your hands. But remember, this is only temporary"
I nod slightly.
I was a fool to think that Merlin wasn't involved with his plan in a way whatever role he's playing in it.
When I actually thought I might have found myself a friend, my father had other plans and that's just how things work.
"So now what?" I ask him with unease, afraid of whatever was on his mind.
"Well, isn't it obvious? Use your brain, you foolish girl. It's your job to seduce him. Make him trust you fully."
I can't believe what I just heard. I wasn't sure if the pain came from the thread snearing around my neck or if it was from the lump that was forming in my chest.
I don't even know how to make friends, so how on earth could I charm someone I just met? Most of all, how could I build up any form of attraction with someone I'm not attracted to?
I bet that my father is enjoying this, just to make me suffer a bit more.

No.
I have to remind myself that it's only temporary.. everything is temporary.
If this is the way I'll earn my freedom, I have no choice.
"I'll do my best, father. I won't let you down."