The First Day Of The Rest Of Our Lives

California
September 7, 1973

Dear Mother,

I miss you even though it's been only a few hours since I left, I've been debating whether or not I should go back home but I can already hear your voice in my head trying to stop me. Trying to tell me that it would be the biggest mistake of my life or that you'll ground me forever but I can't help it. What if no one wants me there? Or What if I don't make any friends? Or What if I'm just not good enough? I keep asking myself those questions as I look at the other kids on the bus who all look and act so confident. Do I really belong he-

Looking up from her book Mariah turned towards the girl nudging her. "Hey, the driver said that we'll be there in a few minutes" The girl informed.

"Thanks" Mariah gave the girl a smile then went back to writing.

Do I really belong here Mother or am I just kidding myself? Well, I have to go but I promise to write and call whenever I can! I love your mother send everyone my love.

Love,
Your daughter Mariah

After she wrote her letter Mariah turned toward the window listening to the other kids talk amongst themselves about their talents and where they were from. It's not that she wasn't happy or grateful getting accepted into a great academy like Sunset Valley School for The Arts, but what if her experience going to this school ends up being just like her life at home? Constantly picked on and bullied for the stupidest reasons. Bullying wasn't something that Mariah brought with her family, They never saw the bruises on her arms and legs or the scratches under her eyes that she would cover with makeup. And it's something she would never bring up with them they had enough to deal with and her problems weren't going to help that. Maybe that's why they had sent her away.

Mariah stopped thinking to herself when she felt someone tapping her shoulder.

"Hey we're here"

———

There were probably about 50 buses in front of the school's campus Mariah thought to make her feel even more uneasy but before anyone could get off the bus the driver explained to them that the buildings where they would be staying at were behind the school and that they were labeled A & B to separate the boys and girls. After Mariah got off the bus with her things she followed a group with a guide that took them to the A building where the girls were supposed to stay. She walked alongside a chatty group of girls and listened to the guide to explain where everything was.

"I heard the Jackson's are coming to the school!" One girl said.

"Are you serious? I thought that was just a rumor" Another girl chimed in.

"No, they're really staying for a semester!"

"Yea I heard about it in Tiger Beat" The girl next to Mariah confirmed.

"That's so cool!"

Mariah who was eves dropping on the girl's conversation accidentally bumped into one of them making the five girls all stop

"Watch where hell you're going!"

"I'm sorry," Mariah said stepping back.