II: The Heartbreak

Hannah wiped the sweat from her brow as she beat master Isaac's robe against a rock after dunking it in the river. The sun in turn punished her relentlessly as she worked to make sure that even the smallest peck of dust banished from her beloved's clothing. She glanced around out of precaution, but no one was there, so she held the robe to her nose and smiled. Isaac. He was all she could think about, all day, every day. The image of his gray eyes filled her mind and she sighed. If only...

The sound of footsteps behind her shattered Hannah's daydream and she hurried to finish the task at hand and stand up. "What's taking you so long?" Her mother called out, a hand on her hip. Hannah quickly wiped away a tray tear, but not before her mother saw it.

She lowered her gaze to no avail and the next thing she knew her mother's hand was under Hannah's chin forcing her to make eye contact. "Are you crying? Again? That's not the best way to carry out this chore, you know. The river is there for a reason." Her mother frowned, and it was all she could do not to glare at her. Was she really so indifferent that she thought nothing of mocking her feelings?

"You need to understand, once and for all, that master Isaac cannot and will not marry you." The grip on her chin became tighter and Hannah winced in pain. "Your father Eliezer and I have worked too hard for master Abraham all these years, trying to build a peaceful life for ourselves. We won't let it be for naught just because of your childish delusions." Her mother scoffed.

"Master Isaac will marry someone who is as affluent as himself. You will marry whoever your father chooses for you. Is that clear?" Each word was like a slap to the face for Hannah, but she could do nothing except nod mutely and hope that one day this unrequited love could be washed away from her heart as easily as she washed Isaac's robe.