III: The Prayer

Eliezer tilted the waterskin in his hands, eager to quench his thirst after a long day's journey. To his despair however there were but a few drops of water left inside the receptacle, not nearly enough to soothe his parched tongue. He mentally reprimanded himself for not rationing out the water as well as he could have. His worries melted away as quickly as they arrived when he finally spotted the entrance to Aram Naharaim, where a well was situated mere feet away from Eliezer. He lifted his head and smiled. His master's God truly cared for those who believed in him, and for that Eliezer was thankful. He hastened to reach the spring and pulled along the ten camels laden with gifts that he had brought along upon his master's request. Once the camels knelt beside the well to rest, Eliezer reached for the rope inside it to draw water from. Just as he was about to pull it towards him, he heard chatter and the sound of women approaching. He turned to find a crowd of young ladies making their way to the well, and then it dawned on him. What better way to choose a daughter in law for his master than to let God make that decision? Eliezer closed his eyes and murmured, "God of Abraham, show kindness to your servant's servant. The daughters of Aram Naharim are here to fetch water from this well. Please, let it be so that when I ask one of them for a drink, not only will she give me some water, but will pour a serving  out for my camels as well." No sooner had he finished his prayer that a young lady covered with a veil reached the well and set down her jar to draw water. Eliezer cleared his throat and met her gaze for a moment. "Excuse me, may I please have a drink from your jar?" Rebecca jumped, startled to hear a man's voice coming out of nowhere. Color rushed to her cheeks as she realized he had been there the entire time; she just hadn't noticed him as her mind had been preoccupied with the conversation she and her father Bethuel had that morning, He was set on having her marry a foreign merchant's son, and the thought repulsed her. This suitor of hers was twenty years older than Bethuel himself! "Oh, yes, of course," she quickly replied, thankful for the veil that at least somewhat hid the embarrassment apparent on her face. Ever since her father brought up this nonsensical idea, the chores she had once loathed became her only reprieve. At least this way she could get away from the servants' teasing comments about that impending marriage, especially Penninah's.

She loved her nurse, who began taking care of her the moment Rebekah's mother died in childbirth. Still, her never ending jokes about weddings were staring to get on her nerves. She hurried to lower her jar onto the well, and once it was full, pulled on the rope to lift it back out. Rebekah then poured some water onto the man's outstretched hands and he drank. "Thank you." Eliezer was in awe of just how quickly his prayer had been answered.

It was then Rebekah noticed the camels that were with him, and she pointed in their direction. "They look thirsty too. Here, let me give them water to drink also." Eliezer clasped his hands. It was obvious she was the chosen one, but he still needed to know a bit more about her.

Once the woman had drawn water and poured it out for the animals, Eliezer asked, "Pardon me, but whose daughter are you? Is there room where a weary traveler like myself could spend the night?" Oh, a guest! Rebekah thought. Her father loved playing host and from the looks of it this man was wealthy. The combination of wealth and a chance to show off might be just what Bethuel needed to get his mind off of her unwanted suitor.

"I am Rebekah, daughter of Bethuel, son of Nahor." At this Eliezer gasped. "Not to worry... we have more than enough room for you and your camels as well." Eliezer fell to his knees. "Praise the Lord who has been kind to my master Abraham and led me to his relatives!" He exclaimed. "Please, Rebekah, I must speak to your father right away." He took the bracelets he had been carrying and placed them on her wrists. "Tell him I have come here bearing great news!"