Chapter 8

You don't understand

You never do. Why was your father like this? And why particularly to you?

"Daddy, can you buy me a bicycle?" You tug at his shirt.

He pushes the newspaper in his hands aside and looks at you in disgust. Immediately you cower.

You know that expression. You must have done something wrong, again.

"Bicycle?" He scoffs, "And what do you need need one for?"

His tone is nothing like the one he uses with Felix. It's a stark contrast to it - it's sharp and accusing. You stay quiet, your eyes downcast and hands at the back.

"Listen here kid, be glad that I even pay for your school. Don't come to me with these useless demands. Housing you under this roof should be enough." He scoffs.

"Don't say that to her!" Your mother's voice sounds from the kitchen door and she hurries to your side, pulling you into her embrace.

"You don't tell me what to do in this house you-"

But whatever he's about to say is cut off when Felix saunters into the room, immediately sensing something wrong.

Even for a nine year old, Felix is well aware of how often you would get into trouble with your father. What he wasn't aware of was the reason behind it.

He quickly pulls you by the wrist and outside, but not soon enough to be entirely drown out the yells and screams you both leave behind.

You burst into tears.

"Mommy and daddy are fighting again." You sniffle.

"It's going to be alright." He pulls you into a hug.

He even lets you ride his bicycle to get your mind off the situation.

But that night, you're aware of your mother slipping into your bed in the dead of the night and softly crying as she hugs you tight.

She constantly says two words, "I'm sorry", and you can't understand why she does that.

Her tears stain the back of your dress but you're too afraid to move.

×

Fourteen was probably too early for you to find out.

But at least now you understood most of the things. However, you do still think that if you had not decided to stay home that night, you wouldn't be here.

Felix was crashing at Changbin's house for the night, and you would have too had it not been for the stupid test you had tomorrow.

You were extremely proud of your straight A's, not only because you had the upper hand with teachers, but it was also one of the things that kept your father from insulting you.