a man after midnight

You thanked the lovely bus driver you had a minor conversation with, gracefully hopped off the bus, and took a breath of fresh air. In the distance, you saw the record shop you worked at, and took your time walking towards it.

Today was the sixtieth anniversary of the shop, and your higher-ups decided to have a huge sale and karaoke night in light of it. So, you were called in to work a later shift than usual.

A small bell chimed as you entered the cozy, rustic store, and you indulged in the smell of aging wood. Yes, you loved your job, and it paid just enough to get by.

It was especially flattering on the days you were in charge of the store's radio, which not many people get to do.

"You look especially ugly today," a voice provoked you.

You turned to see your coworker, — and close friend — Jean Kirstein, behind the checkout counter, giving you a smirk. You let out a lazy, lopsided smile, rolled your eyes, and approached him.

"I could say the same for you... you look hideous," you told him, leaning on the counter and plopping your purse on it.

He let out a tiny chuckle.

"Any work done? Where are they planning on doing the karaoke?" you asked Jean, changing the topic.

"Lots done. Here, follow me." Jean said.

He lead you to the second floor, which was normally staff exclusive. The place had been turned into a homemade night club, filled with colourful lights, decorative furniture, a portable bar and a projector, to screen lyrics.

"Holy shit!" You exclaimed, shocked that the area could've even been turned into what it had.

"The lights will look much better when it gets darker. Up here is for the karaoke, so that people can still shop on the main floor. Extended hours equals more customers." Jean explained.

The layout of the store allowed lots of natural light to enter the store, so no artificial lights were visible while the sun was up. The second floor towered over the first, giving people a decent view of the main floor and outside street. There was a massive window that took up over three quarters of the outer wall, thus the sunlight.

As the hours passed, you and Jean collectively rearranged and organized some outstanding vinyls, CD's and memorabilia to pass time, and finalized the setup of the upper floor. You both stepped back and admired the work you had done.

"Nice," you whispered.

"Can't wait for people to mess all of this up again!" Jean chirped, sarcasm drowning his tone.

You laughed and nodded, agreeing with him. "And we're the ones who have to stay late to clean it up again, too."

Soon enough, the sun was totally set and people began flooding the shop. The store looked like it had been turned into a club, with the purple and blue lasers reflecting off the ceiling. Unfortunately, you and Jean were stuck on the main floor, helping the shoppers instead of running the karaoke.

"So much for setting the whole thing up. They totally used us!" Jean complained to you, obsessively staring at the second floor.

"We're employees, Jean. We signed up for this," you sighed, joining him in his state of FOMO.

A customer walked up to the both of you.

"Do you guys have a vinyl of Madonna's Hung Up?" she asked.

Jean gave you a look of disappointment and you gave him a small nudge.

"I'm afraid we don't have a vinyl of the single," you smiled at the customer. "But we do have a vinyl of the entire album."