17

March, 20 months later

"That's okay, I have her number anyway so I'll ask her."

Hanji tapped the gel ink pen on her ring finger before making an additional note to call the pastry chef.

It was her third catering gig of the month and though excitement ran through her veins, so did worry and she soon found herself overwhelmed. After moving out of the penthouse, she had managed to find a small unit to rent just another kilometer further away and months later quit her job as a sous-chef.

"So today's Tuesday, and the wedding is on Sunday so if I call today she can have the rest of the week for the cake, and --"

Her thinking was interrupted when her phone buzzed loudly, reading Sooyoung's name on the caller ID.

"How's the decor coming?", she asked playfully -- Sooyoung coincidentally being the planner for this wedding.

"Can we please take a break from all of this?", her friend pleaded through the phone.

"What? No! W-We only have a few more days and we still have so much to work on. I-I gotta make sure all the appetizers come in the vegetarian option --"

Sooyoung groaned loudly, interrupting her friend once again. "There's a new gallery that just opened over the weekend and I think you'll enjoy the break."

Hanji winced lightly, flipping through her notebook.

"I-I don't know, Soo. I really wanna get this stuff done."

"Just one day! Come on, I'm already on my way to the restaurant to pick you up."

~

Sooyoung's car smelled like strawberries and bread thanks to the buns she picked up on the way.

"See? Isn't it so nice to get out of the office for once? You're either cooking in the kitchen or making phone calls for events and I can never get to you.", said Sooyoung.

"I'm sorry, it's just I had no idea it would be this difficult to handle.", Hanji admitted leaning her head against the car window.

They pulled up into the gallery, which was located on the second floor of a unit so Hanji figured it was rather small but still looked forward to it with appreciation.

There was a sign at the bottom of the staircase, pointing up to what read 달 갤러리 / Moon Gallery.

"It's apparently non-profit and the owner puts up his own art! You can make donations but he places them in this fund that helps other aspiring student-artists.", Sooyoung explained as they climbed up the stairs.

"Wow. That's...That's really charitable of him."

When she thought of art, she remembered two things:

One: her internship at the museum in the city centre when she was in eleventh grade.

Two: Hyuk and his drawings.

~

The night of Simon's letter, 20 months before

"You're gonna let this come between us?! Hanji, it's an apartment!", Hyuk grabbed her by the waist, pulling her closer to his chest.

Hanji was quick to pull away, "It's not just about that, Hyuk!..."

"A lot can change within five years and a lot has."

"What's different now?", Hyuk asked lowly.

Hanji sighed lightly, "I hated you in high school."

"But I hate you even more now.", she confessed.

"Don't we all make mistakes, Hanji?"

Hyuk lowered his voice and pleaded with his eyes gazing into hers. "Don't you trust me?"

It took moments for her to process his question and she could only imagine her life had she said yes -- worry and uncertainty.

"N-No."

~

The art was oddly familiar -- graphics of floating chairs and static TVs and bubbles.

Despite the small space, they had managed to fit a small sculpture at the heart of the gallery -- a small white box and a plain metal chair leaning upside-down against it.

"What is this supposed to mean?", Hanji chuckled, expecting Sooyoung to be next to her.

"Hanji. C-Come here.", she heard her call from afar.

Strolling past more paintings and portraits, she met her friend at the niche and her eyes instantly fell on the reason why Sooyoung needed her attention.

It was her. Or rather, the all too familiar drawing she had first seen two years before; and her features were still on point -- the round eyes and downturned nose.

La Luna, it read on its description and nothing else.

Sooyoung shifted her body toward Hanji but kept her eyes on the portrait.

"I think I know who the owner is."