Chapter 11

Shadowsplitter fiddled with the small golden band hanging from his ear, talons handling it, smoothing over its normally chilled surface that had been warmed by the desert sun just hours before. The NighWing sat anxiously in the rented hut, staring out the window, looking up at the moons that were slowly creeping away as the days passed on.

Imperial shone the brightest, the largest of the three, still full from the brightest night that shook the whole desert kingdom and the NightWings back home in the rainforest into moon festivals and celebrations. Perception was close behind, misshapend by the shadow that started to creep along its side, a mere sliver against the curve of the moon. Then there was Orical, the smallest of the three moons, already rapidly disappearing in the night sky, close to its first quarter stage.

He could imagine his parents, Orchid and Strongwings, celebrating with his little sister, Lavender. The dragonet was going to be four soon, yet it still felt like only yesterday that his step-mother had told him the news that she and Strongwings were expecting. Sure, there were ups and downs with having a little sister like Lavender, the dragonet was always getting into something, running off to explore on her own, sneaking off to watch Silentbreath carve away on pieces of wood, or chasing the howler monkeys and macaws, but he adored her.

I'll try to be home soon, he stared out at the moons, imagining his little sister could hear him from this far away with what little mindreading she had, I just need to help this family first.

Pushing himself up from his seat, he peered out of the window. The huts and abodes around him were lifeless, not even a torch in sight through the shrouded windows, some covered with blinds. The whole settlement was shaken up and most visitors had already taken their leave. Even the traveling merchants, unable to sell their goods in the once flourishing trade hub of the SandWing capital.

With a rattle of his spines, Shadowsplitter made his way to the door- well, it wasn't really a door, just a doorway with long strings of thick beads that brushed the floor, letting thin stripes of moonlight in- stepping out onto the cooling sand that shifted beneath her talons. He was getting used to walking on the moving surface, the tiny grains crunching and rolling under each step, but he did miss the solid ground back home, even if he complained of the mud after it rained. A lonely pang rang throughout his chest, shaking bim back into focus. He could go home once he was done here, once he stopped whatever his vision meant.

The streets were silent and barren. The lockdown over the palace had been lifted hours ago, yet no dragon seemed to want to leave their abodes.

I can't really blame them. In all honesty, Shadowsplitter would be doing the same, keeping his family inside if something like this happened back in the rainforest, but he had a job to do that wouldn't get done by just sitting around.

But you haven't gotten anything done, have you?

He scowled.

Shadowsplitter made his way down the street, passing more quiet and lifeless homes. Even the crickets, that seemed to be invisible and everywhere at night, were silent. Lips pressed into a thin line, he kept on the move, passing squads of soldiers who masked themselves in the dimly lit streets, no torches or lanterns lighting their paths, their only give away being the reflections of the moons on their armor. They walked quietly enough to nearly be completely silent, not even disturbing the shifting ground.

Before long the streets of abodes and huts grew wider, a thick wall up ahead, only a talon or two above the rooftops. Light came from the other side, the quiet crackle of torches popping over the quiet murmur of voices. Shadowsplitter followed along the wall, sticking close to its cased shadow, his wing nearly brushing its rough surface. Each brick was large, the bottom layer rivaling his shoulders in height.