Chapter 1

JoJo met up with me on my way to the law firm. 

"Hey, Quinn!" JoJo said. "I was wondering if you wanted to go to Papa's Freezeria with me after your work." 

I nodded. JoJo's an acclaimed food critic. He's been in thousands of magazines for his judgmental nature. 

He's awesome.

I eat out once a week. Sometimes we go together, and we love making nasty comments about other customers and the cashier. 

"Yeah, Sure." I replied, sipping my coffee. I'm 45, but we respect the grind. JoJo looked at me, noticing that I looked disturbed. 

"Anything... wrong?" he asked. 

"No." I lied. My eyes were fixed on one person in the cafe nearby. Timm stood inside. I thought he skipped town all those years ago. JoJo tried to spot who I was staring so deeply at, but gave up soon enough. 

"Okay, well, Chuck and Wally are going to join us. That ok?" JoJo asked. 

"Yep." I replied, walking into the cafe for another cup of coffee. Timm still stood there with another blonde girl. 

Timm came towards me at the counter and I didn't avert my attention. Our eyes met for a split second. Timm looked at me with regret, and I replied with a wave of hatred. 

"Welcome to Papa's Freezeria- Oh, hey Quinn!" said the cashier. 

"Hey, Brandy!" I replied. "I'll get a coffee." 

"Right up. So, how things going at the law firm? We know we chose the right person to represent our franchise!" Said Brandy.

I could feel Timm's eyes widen. He probably didn't think I would get far without him. My mouth filled with bitterness and spite every time I thought about Timm.

"Yeah, Brandy. I'm a top lawyer in the entire country!" I boasted as I got my coffee returned. I looked at it.

"Excuse me? The coffee powder is not mixed in correctly! THERE ARE CLUMPS! No, no, no!" This was unacceptable! "I'd like to return this coffee." 

"i--um..." said Brandy.

"It's taking so long..." The blonde girl whispered behind me.

"It's okay, she's just an old lady." Timm rolled his eyes and I gave him the stink eye.

The cashier spilled another mocha on the way to deliver my drink, and I was late to work. 

Great. Another day ruined.