Chapter 38

Another 2 weeks slowly crawled by as Tate wrestled with his feelings. He stopped going to the bar and spent more time with his family. He worked himself as hard as he could during the days, trying to ignore the pain in his heart. He wanted to leave and run back to Megan now, but he just didn't know if he would be able to stay. Last time he could barely stand the harsh winter, combined with the ache of missing his family that he had just reunited with.

"You ain't goin to be happy away from her boy. Stop prolonging the inevitable." Tate turned from mucking stalls, wiping the sweat that was running into his eyes. His dad stood leaning against the stall door and observing him.

"What do you mean?" Tate asked, reaching for the bottle of water that was dangling from his dad's fingers. He took a long sip of the cold liquid before wiping the back of his hand across his mouth. His dad just shook his head.

"I know we ain't had the best relationship. I've always been kind of harsh with you boys. Thought I needed to so y'all could grow up into men. Well all my sons grew up into fine men, but one of them is just so stubborn that he denies himself the things he wants the most." Brett spoke earnestly, never wavering and never looking away from Tate.

"Dad. I ain't been a good son either. In fact at this point I don't know why you haven't disowned me." Tate's gaze dropped in shame as he thought of all the drinking benders he had gone on just recently, not to mention leaving the family and not standing up to his actions.

"I ain't gonna lie, I didn't teach you to behave the way you have, but everyone copes different. What I'm most disappointed in is the fact that you walked away from that girl when you both are miserable without each other. But I am real proud of you Tate. Never think otherwise." Tate felt his eyes getting glossy and he finally looked up at his dad.

"Dad, how can I leave y'all again? What if she doesn't want me?" He whispered.

"Boy if you say you can't leave us one more time, I'm kickin you out. You have to understand that you ain't gonna hurt us. We know you'll come back. We know you love us. You know that we love you. What happened in the past is in the past and even though we will miss you, we always know that you'll find your way home again. Besides, course that girl wants you. I've never seen anyone look at anyone with that much love in their eyes as they way you two looked at each other. Except for maybe me and your mama. Now go make things right son, go do what I know you want too and make your folks proud." With that, he moved off and left Tate to finishing mucking stalls.

****

Megan was washing dishes one morning when she heard the sound of a truck pulling into the yard. She didn't pay any attention to it, just assumed that it was one of the neighbors coming to check up on the ranch. They had all come and gone pretty much as they pleased and Megan wasn't in the state of mind to care what they did. The front door opened slowly and she heard someone walking across the floor. The stride sounded familiar but she shook off the feeling, because she knew her mind was tricking her that Tate was here.

"I'll be with you in a minute! Just let me finish washing the dishes. Is there a problem with the cows? I can come help just give me a second." She called without turning around. She assumed it was Phil coming to tell her something, or checking up on her.

"Megan." The deep, husky voice hit straight in her heart and she spun around. Tate was standing there, looking as gorgeous as always. He was wearing a blue western work shirt with the top buttons undone, paired with a pair of old scruffy blue jeans and his work boots. His hat was in his other hand, but the best part of it all was the expression he had on his face. Megan swore that there was love shining out of his eyes. Time seemed to slow and she felt her hands rising to cover her mouth in shock. Tears immediately formed in her eyes as she stared at him.