Somehow it gets weirder

Mr. Brunner parked his wheelchair at the base of the handicapped ramp. He ate celery while he read a paperback novel. A red umbrella stuck up from the back of his chair, making it look like a motorized café table.

I was about to take a bite of my grilled cheese and Nutella sandwich (don't judge me its actually really good) when Nancy Bobofit appeared in front of us with her ugly friends—I guess she'd gotten tired of stealing from the tourists—and dumped her half-eaten lunch in Grover's lap.

"Oops." She grinned at us with her crooked teeth. Her freckles were bright orange, as if somebody had spray-painted her face with liquid Cheetos.

I tried to stay cool. The school counselor had told me a million times, "Count to ten, get control of your temper." But I was beyond mad. Then everything stopped, well not exactly stopped. It was like someone hit the slow-motion button on the tv, but for some reason I could still move around perfectly normal. As I looked around I saw a giant wave slowly making its way out of the water fountain. That was the moment I decided screw not getting suspended and I got revenge. I pushed the unaware Cheeto head in to the water and then ran back to me seat, except when I ran it was like everything stayed slow and I sped up. Suddenly I was back on the edge of the fountain. Nancy was in the fountain and it was like not even a second had passed.

I looked at Percy and then at Grover with a facial expression meant to read "am I the only one who just had a twilight zone moment? " I don't think they caught on.

Before I knew it Nancy began to scream about how Percy and I had pushed her in, witch technically I did do but she was totally asking for it.

Mrs. Dodds materialized next to us.

Some of the kids were whispering: "Did you see—"

"—the water—"

"—like it grabbed her—"

Mabey I wasn't the only one who noticed something weird? But it didn't matter, we were in trouble again.

As soon as Mrs. Dodds was sure poor little Nancy was okay, promising to get her a new shirt at the museum gift shop, etc., etc., Mrs. Dodds turned on me. There was a triumphant fire in her eyes, as if I'd done something she'd been waiting for all semester. "Now, honey—"

"I know," I grumbled. "A month erasing workbooks."

Lets just say that wasn't the right thing to say.

"Come with me, both of you." Mrs. Dodds said, looking between Percy and I.

"Wait!" Grover yelped. "It was me. I pushed her."

I stared at him, stunned. I couldn't believe he was trying to cover for us. Mrs. Dodds scared Grover to death.

She glared at him so hard his whiskery chin trembled.

"I don't think so, Mr. Underwood," she said.

"But—"

"You—will—stay—here."

Grover looked at me desperately.

"It's okay, man," Percy told him. "Thanks for trying."

"Honeys," Mrs. Dodds barked at us. "Now."

Nancy Bobofit smirked.

Percy gave her his deluxe I'll-kill-you-later stare, which he used a lot on her. Then the two of us turned to face Mrs. Dodds. She wasn't there though. She was standing at the museum entrance, way at the top of the steps, gesturing impatiently at me and Percy to come on.

How'd she get there so fast?

I have moments like that a lot, when my brain falls asleep or something, and the next thing I know I've missed something, as if a puzzle piece fell out of the universe and left me staring at the blank place behind it. The school counselor told me this was part of the ADHD, my brain misinterpreting things.