PART 6

GRAYSON'S POV

Two months had passed since Nora and I sat in Dr. Madden's office and were told the results of Evie's sweat test. Two months have gone by since our lives were changed even more. It isn't the easiest thing to learn that your child is sick. I often think about before we found out. She seemed perfect. How could she be sick?

But that hasn't stopped our little girl from learning and growing and continuing to steal our hearts, including my sister and both sets of grandparents. Well, all of our hearts except Ethan's. He was still distant and still didn't like to talk about it. And I continued to pretend that life was normal for the public. With Evie having CF and being so little it made Nora staying home with her easier. She quit the diner, much to Oliver and Mary's disappointment although they understood why she had to. Now she could be home with the baby while Ethan and I filmed or went to meetings for our company.

I felt bad that Nora was home so much with the baby when I wasn't. Life didn't change as much for me as it did for Nora. So tonight I decided that enough was enough. I was going to take my girl out to dinner.

My mom agreed to watch Evie while Nora and I went on our first real date. I was grateful that my mom was still here, although she would only be here a few more weeks.

"Gray, how do I look?" Nora asked as she stepped out of the guest room, doing a little spin in her red dress.

"Wow. Nora you look beautiful, baby," I replied, looking her up and down. Fuck, I was a lucky man.

"Really? You don't think the dress is too much? I've never worn something like this before," she said a little shyly.

Walking up to her and grabbing her hand I pulled her gently to me, "NJ, you are absolutely stunning. You're the hottest little momma I've ever laid eyes on and I'm the lucky son of bitch that gets to take you out. The dress is perfect. You're perfect."

Reaching up to tuck a stray hair behind her ear, she blushed, "Such a charmer, you are, Grayson Bailey."

"I'm just speaking the truth. Now, let's get going. I have the perfect night planned, love," I smiled, taking her hand and leading us to the living room to say bye to my mom and Evie.

I took Nora to a pretty elite restaurant in hopes that we'd get some privacy. Not that I didn't want to show her off but that time would come. Right now I wanted to focus on her and I.

"Grayson, this place is beautiful but it's too much," she whispered after we were seated.

I shook my head, "No Nora, it's actually not enough. I don't think I'll ever be able to give you all the things you deserve, because, honestly, you deserve the world. This isn't too much, NJ. Not for you."

"You don't have to do this, Grayson. You're Evie's father and just because I'm her mother doesn't mean you have to do these things for me," she replied.

"Nora, do you think I only did this because we have Evie together?" I asked, softly, taking her hand in mine from across the small table.

Nora blushed and bent her head in an attempt to escape my gaze.

"Nora Jane, look at me," I ordered, taking my hand that wasn't wrapped in hers to gently lift her chin.

"Grayson, I'm nothing compared to the type of girls you've been with. You've dated models and girls that look they could be on the cover of Vogue. I'm just me, curly red hair and stretch marks," Nora said back, trying not to get emotional.

"Don't talk about yourself like that, sweetie. You are perfect. Even the stretch marks that you hate. I think they're beautiful because they are just gentle reminders of the fact that you carried my daughter for nine months. You kept her safe and loved. Don't degrade yourself for being anything but human," I said softly, yet sternly.

Nodding sadly, she seemed to drop it for now.

Leaning back but keeping our hands intertwined I smiled up at the waitress that arrived to take our orders.

"What can I get you today?" She asked, politely.

"Anything my girl wants, she gets," I said back, smiling at Nora as she smiled back.

After dinner I wasn't quite ready to go home yet so I decided to take Nora to one of my favorite places.

The drive up was a little long but well worth it when we reached the top.

I got out and walked around to open Nora's door, "Give me your hand and let me help you on my back. I don't want you to fall on this gravel."

"Grayson, where are we?" she asked before jumping up on my back.

"It's a surprise, sweetie. Close your eyes and I'll tell you when to open," I chuckled as I began to walk the short distance to where I wanted to be.

"Grayson, please don't murder me out here. I mean, not that you aren't a good dad but I really think Evie might need me around too," Nora joked as she shielded her face in the crook of my neck.

Letting out a full laugh I said, "Don't worry, baby. For one, Evie isn't the only one that needs you here. And two, I'm terrible at keeping secrets. I'd end up telling on myself."

Nora giggled as I continued to walk and before long we were right where I wanted.

"Okay, NJ. I'm gonna put you down but keep your eyes closed," I said, gently placing her on her feet and walking around to place my hands over her squeezed shut eyes.

"Why am I so nervous?" Nora giggled.

Bending down I placed a kiss to her cheek and removed my hands, "Look Nora."

Doing as I asked I immediately heard the gasp that escaped her lips as she looked up at the Hollywood sign, "Grayson! How did you find this place?"

Wrapping my arms around her waist from behind I leaned my head against hers, "I went on a hike about a year ago. I was tired of the same places so I kept trying out different trails and came across this one. I've never brought anyone up here, not even Ethan."

Turning in my arms to face me Nora looked straight into my eyes, the only light being the moon up above, "Thank you for being you, Gray. You're constantly showing me that good guys do exist and that true love is really out there."

I grinned back at her, pulling her deeper into my arms, "True love?"

Even in the night I could see the blush that flooded her cheeks, "You know what I mean."

"No, Nora. I don't think I do. I know to the marrow of my bones that I love you. And I pray every night that you'll eventually feel the same. Do you, Nora? Do you love me, too?" I asked softly, not taking my eyes from hers.

Nora shook her head, "How can you say you love me, Grayson? I mean, I get that you'd have some form of love because of Evie but that's it. You can't love me, Gray."

I could see the tears slowly fall from her eyes and I reached up to wipe them away with my thumb, "Nora Jane, I do love you. I fell in love with you before Evie was even here. I fell in love with you before we shared a child together. I don't just love you because you gave me my daughter. I love you because of who you are. I love you because you dance while you make people's drinks. I love you because, even on your hardest days, you always smile. I love you because you don't see color or race or sexuality, you see people and you love people and you care for people. I love you because when you look at me, my fucking heart stops beating. The greatest feeling in the world is to look into your eyes and see the ocean and know that the struggle I have to breathe is because my love for you is as big as what I see in your eyes. So yes, I do love you, Nora."

"Grayson," she breathed, feeling the same magnet between us as I did.

"Say it, Nora. Tell me you love me too," I said softly as my lips met hers.

Cupping her cheek to deepen the kiss i could've sworn I saw heaven the moment I tasted her. So sweet, so good.

I don't know how long we stayed there, exploring each other and growing closer than I ever thought possible tonight. But eventually I reluctantly pulled away and placed my forehead to hers.

"Say it, Nora," I urged as I tried to catch my breath.

"I love you, too," she sighed, falling into my arms, wrapping hers around my waist.

Finally. It's about fucking time.