6 ~ Matt

Ari listened with interest and concern as I told him the story of Pete and the light bulb, and reassured me that he and the other members of the Circle (The Guardian Circle) were at my disposal if I needed any help.

It was more than Ben had done—listening without freaking out, without jumping to horrible conclusions of doom and gloom. Then again, Ari was like me—open-minded and willing to embrace the wonder in the world.

As we talked, I sneaked glances at the two little marks on the side of his neck. They looked like small scars, but I knew them for what they really were—the bite of his lover, a vampire who drank his blood, sinking his fangs deep in the throes of passion and—

Well, actually maybe not. I knew Ari was like my own sister—asexual. He and his vampire husband probably...snuggled or something, though.

However it happened, I'm sure it was tender and passionate. I could see it in the way they looked at each other—like they each carried the other's life in the beat of his heart.

I wanted that.

I thought I had it with Ben, but...

Well, it seemed like he either didn't remember I existed, or worried himself to death over nothing. He didn't leave any room for me.

Ari finally caught me staring and self-consciously covered the marks with his hand.

"Volkir's in town, by the way, back from Europe," he said, and leaned down to retrieve a tall, narrow gift bag he had under his seat. "He wanted me to give you this."

He passed over the bag and I peered inside. It contained a bottle of wine, and I recognized the label.

"Holy sh—" I stopped myself, mindful of the kids still playing with Ari's dog. A bottle like this didn't sell for under four figures. "I can't accept this," I said, trying to hand it back. "This is...too much."

"I know," Ari sighed. "You should see what he brought me. It's no use though. He won't take it back. He said you should drink it, too. He said to tell you, 'good wine isn't something to save for some distant, special day. It is something to enjoy every day—like life itself.'"

He rolled his eyes, having done a fairly good impression of his father-in-law's suave, slightly accented voice.

"Don't worry about it," he said, pushing the bag back into my hands. "You know Volkir gives what he wants to give and takes what he wants to take. It's easier to just go with it."

"Do you think he'd want to bite me?" I blurted before I could stop myself.

Ari frowned. "Are you worried? I can tell him to leave you alone if you want. I think he just likes you though."

"No, I'm not worried," I said, biting my lip. "Actually...I want to try it."

Ari blinked a few times, and I could see him replaying my words in his head as he struggled to puzzle out what I meant.

"You want Volkir to bite you?" he said slowly, as though stating an unsolvable paradox. "What about Ben?"

"Oh no," I shook my head quickly, "I don't think he'd be interested."

"No, I mean..." He squinted at me. "What does Ben think? You realize it's an...intimate kind of thing, right? I didn't know you and Ben had that kind of relationship."

"Of course we do!" I laughed. "We're married."

Ari leaned back and rubbed his brow. "I mean an open relationship, Matt."